SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawnforet

Gardening and roaches

6 years ago

I am near Houston, and I am pretty much surrounded by woods and a large creek behind us. I'm no stranger to various roaches because I live in Houston, but I was shocked at how many flying Asian roaches there was here at the beginning of summer. I sprayed pesticides with limited success because they fly more than they crawl apparently. Our area was flooded in Harvey (7 feet of water in our home), so we are planning and rebuilding. The amount of Asian roaches after the flood...there are no words to describe it. Even though the area is dried out and our property does not have any standing water/debris/leaves, etc, the area is totally infested.

I am very new to gardening, but I would like to get a garden going after winter with vegetables and herbs. i obviously don't want roaches crawling on my food. Hopefully it will die down by then, but it will undoubtedly still be an issue. A friend mentioned a greenhouse with screen over any windows that would open. Don't I need beneficial insects in a greenhouse? Any ideas?

Comment (1)