SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 11 - 15 - 17 page 1

User
6 years ago

Johann Kaspar Lavater Quotes
German - Theologian November 15, 1741 - January 2, 1801

The jealous are possessed by a mad devil and a dull spirit at the same time.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

Say not you know another entirely till you have divided an inheritance with him.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

Action, looks, words, steps, form the alphabet by which you may spell character.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

What do I owe to my times, to my country, to my neighbors, to my friends? Such are the questions which a virtuous man ought often to ask himself.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

The prudent see only the difficulties, the bold only the advantages, of a great enterprise; the hero sees both; diminishes the former and makes the latter preponderate, and so conquers.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

There are three classes of men; the retrograde, the stationary and the progressive.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

He who seldom speaks, and with one calm well-timed word can strike dumb the loquacious, is a genius or a hero.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

Conscience is the sentinel of virtue.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

Intuition is the clear conception of the whole at once.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

Who makes quick use of the moment is a genius of prudence.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

Who in the same given time can produce more than others has vigor; who can produce more and better, has talents; who can produce what none else can, has genius.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

I am prejudiced in favor of him who, without impudence, can ask boldly. He has faith in humanity, and faith in himself. No one who is not accustomed to giving grandly can ask nobly and with boldness.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

Trust him not with your secrets, who, when left alone in your room, turns over your papers.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

He, who cannot forgive a trespass of malice to his enemy, has never yet tasted the most sublime enjoyment of love.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

If you wish to appear agreeable in society, you must consent to be taught many things which you know already.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

You are not very good if you are not better than your best friends imagine you to be.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

Have you ever seen a pedant with a warm heart?
Johann Kaspar Lavater

Neatness begets order; but from order to taste there is the same difference as from taste to genius, or from love to friendship.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

If you see one cold and vehement at the same time, set him down for a fanatic.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

You may tell a man thou art a fiend, but not your nose wants blowing; to him alone who can bear a thing of that kind, you may tell all.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

Mistrust the person who finds everything good, and the person who finds everything evil, and mistrust even more the person who is indifferent to everything.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

Depend on no man, on no friend but him who can depend on himself. He only who acts conscientiously toward himself, will act so toward others.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

Don't speak evil of someone if you don't know for certain, and if you do know ask yourself, why am I telling it?
Johann Kaspar Lavater

Him, who incessantly laughs in the street, you may commonly hear grumbling in his closet.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

He submits to be seen through a microscope, who suffers himself to be caught in a fit of passion.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

The great rule of moral conduct is next to God, respect time.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

You may depend upon it that he is a good man whose intimate friends are all good, and whose enemies are decidedly bad.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

The public seldom forgive twice.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

August Krogh Quotes
Danish - Scientist November 15, 1874 - September 13, 1949

There can be little doubt that fishes swimming rapidly do not make respiratory movements at all, but obtain the necessary ventilation of the gills simply by opening the mouth.
August Krogh

The circulatory system of man and the vertebrate animals can be considered as made up of a small number of organs or subordinate systems, which are easy to recognize anatomically, and the functions of which are on the whole quite distinct.
August Krogh

In the giraffe with a total height of 5 m., the heart is at a height of about 2.5 m., and it would be extremely interesting to know just how the giraffe avoids the development of filtration oedema in its long legs.
August Krogh

For a large number of problems, there will be some animal of choice, or a few such animals, on which it can be most conveniently studied.
August Krogh

In many organisms, including man, the mechanical respiration and the circulation of the blood are 'regulated' so as to correspond to the demand of the moment.
August Krogh

In man, the mechanical breathing is essential to life, and it is one of the old tests for death to see whether these movements have ceased completely.
August Krogh

I found it possible to observe at least the superficial capillaries of muscles both in the frog and in mammals through a binocular microscope, using strong reflected light as a source of illumination. Resting muscles observed in this way are usually quite pale, and the microscope reveals only a few capillaries at fairly regular intervals.
August Krogh

It is no doubt technically possible to study metabolism and respiration of fishes during swimming at a constant rate, and of certain insects and birds during flight, and to obtain information similar to that obtained on man during work on a bicycle ergometer or a treadmill.
August Krogh

Since muscular contractions are usually more or less regularly alternated with relaxations, the system of valves makes of the veins of every muscle a very effective pump, capable of maintaining a low pressure in the muscle capillaries.
August Krogh

The most direct evidence of the wonderful plasticity and elasticity of red corpuscles is obtained when they are watched in a current, where they can be caught against a projecting edge and bent by the pressure of the current flowing past them.
August Krogh

Muscles do not use oxygen at a constant rate.
August Krogh

In the numerous observations made in my laboratory upon this object, we have only once seen a combination of vessels in which there might be a direct communication between a small artery and a vein, though the two observers could not come to a final conclusion on the point.
August Krogh

The respiratory mechanisms of birds are definitely adapted to the function of flight, as evidenced by the fact that birds which do not fly (Apteryx, Penguins) show these adaptations in a greatly reduced form.
August Krogh

The tremendous honour of the Nobel Prize is of the strongest incentive to me in my work, while the amount of the Prize will greatly simplify my task and provide me with much valuable help in my work.
August Krogh

In the tissues generally, and in such a cavity as the abdomen, the pressure is everywhere and practically always very nearly atmospheric, and must be so, because the integuments give way very easily to any excess of pressure, whether positive or negative.
August Krogh

In many cases of inflammation, the vascular changes develop slowly and long after the application of the stimulus which is responsible for the inflammatory reaction.
August Krogh

The affinity of blood or pure haemoglobins for oxygen is a complex phenomenon, depending upon a number of conditions, the most important of which are temperature and hydrogen ion concentration.
August Krogh

Franklin Pierce Adams Quotes
American - Writer November 15, 1881 - March 23, 1960

Health is the thing that makes you feel that now is the best time of the year.
Franklin Pierce Adams

Nothing is more responsible for the good old days than a bad memory.
Franklin Pierce Adams

Elections are won by men and women chiefly because most people vote against somebody rather than for somebody.
Franklin Pierce Adams

There are plenty of good five cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter.
Franklin Pierce Adams

You do not know what you can miss before you try.
Franklin Pierce Adams

The true republic: men, their rights and nothing more; women, their rights and nothing less.
Franklin Pierce Adams

The trouble with this country is that there are too many politicians who believe, with a conviction based on experience, that you can fool all of the people all of the time.
Franklin Pierce Adams

Having imagination it takes you an hour to write a paragraph that if you were unimaginative would take you only a minute.
Franklin Pierce Adams

I find that a great part of the information I have was acquired by looking up something and finding something else on the way.
Franklin Pierce Adams

What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel.
Franklin Pierce Adams

We have nothing in our history or position to invite aggression; we have everything to beckon us to the cultivation of relations of peace and amity with all nations.
Franklin Pierce Adams

Years ago we discovered the exact point, the dead center of middle age. It occurs when you are too young to take up golf and too old to rush up to the net.
Franklin Pierce Adams

Middle age occurs when you are too young to take up golf and too old to rush up to the net.
Franklin Pierce Adams

Christmas is over and Business is Business.
Franklin Pierce Adams

There must be a day or two in a man's life when he is the precise age for something important.
Franklin Pierce Adams

Too much truth is uncouth.
Franklin Pierce Adams

Marianne Moore Quotes
American - Poet November 15, 1887 - February 5, 1972

The deepest feeling always shows itself in silence; not in silence, but restraint.
Marianne Moore

Psychology which explains everything explains nothing, and we are still in doubt.
Marianne Moore

There never was a war that was not inward.
Marianne Moore

Poetry is the art of creating imaginary gardens with real toads.
Marianne Moore

Impatience is the mark of independence, not of bondage.
Marianne Moore

We are suffering from too much sarcasm.
Marianne Moore

Beauty is everlasting And dust is for a time.
Marianne Moore

As contagion of sickness makes sickness, contagion of trust can make trust.
Marianne Moore

When one cannot appraise out of one's own experience, the temptation to blunder is minimized, but even when one can, appraisal seems chiefly useful as appraisal of the appraiser.
Marianne Moore

You're not free until you've been made captive by supreme belief.
Marianne Moore

Any writer overwhelmingly honest about pleasing himself is almost sure to please others.

Honest, Others, Writer
If technique is of no interest to a writer, I doubt that the writer is an artist.

Communication, Doubt, Artist
Poetry is all nouns and verbs.
Marianne Moore

In a poem the excitement has to maintain itself. I am governed by the pull of the sentence as the pull of a fabric is governed by gravity.
Marianne Moore

The passion for setting people right is in itself an afflictive disease.
Marianne Moore

A writer is unfair to himself when he is unable to be hard on himself.
Marianne Moore

Superior people never make long visits.
Marianne Moore

I see no reason for calling my work poetry except that there is no other category in which to put it.
Marianne Moore

If you will tell me why the fen appears impassable, I then will tell you why I think that I can cross it if I try.
Marianne Moore

My father used to say superior people never make long visits.
Marianne Moore

It is quite cruel that a poet cannot wander through his regions of enchantment without having a critic, forever, like the old man of the sea, upon his back.
Marianne Moore

It is human nature to stand in the middle of a thing.
Marianne Moore

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions