SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sydney_9292

The Metropolitan Police Guide 1896, Second Edition, please read!

sydney_9292
6 years ago

Hello, I am new here and I would like to ask a question.
I stumbled upon a £4 book in a charity shop today that I just had to buy! It is called 'The Metropolitan Police Guide.' The publication date is 1896 and it is the Second Edition.
Upon researching online I have come to the conclusion that the earliest copy for sale anywhere (including auction and antiques dealer websites) is the fifth and sixth edition, where as mine is the second.
The book is to do with law and sentencing guidelines at the time of publication and the author is W.F.A Archibald ESQ who was a master of the supreme court at the time. There are a further two authors who helped compile the book and they were barristers.
I have now come to know that two other copies are known of the second edition. One is held at the Brixham Heritage Museum and the other is at The Oxford University Library. I have been told that I should donate the book to The National Archives, as they do not have a copy, but I would rather it go to someone to appreciate this great piece of British Law History.
Could this mean I have one of the only other surviving copies?
The book is in quite good condition considering its age and no pages are missing.
I don't think many copies were made anyway, because they were only handed out to the met police for guidance on law at the time. It would have also been used by judges as a reference guide for sentencing.
ANY information would be so helpful to me as I have no idea what I should be doing right now.

Comments (6)