SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate_penneyhoward

What style does my new house want to be?

Kate H.
6 years ago

We are moving into a new house in a month. We bought it because it is on an exceptional piece of forested property, has approximately the right space, and -- a bonus, has a finished walkout basement. (NE Indiana, rural)

Sounds great, right?

It was built in 1992. The kitchen cabinets are dated, the decor is dated, the bedroom and dining room have goofy tray ceilings with mauve accent and sparkly popcorn (only in the tray, thankfully) AND all the light fixtures are gold.

Together, we both like rustic, a scaled-back lodge (minus trophy heads), traditional, and craftsman. This house is a huge departure from what I have had in the past (victorian and then a suburban Colonial) and I just don't know where to start!

The cedar siding and the decorative arch over the entrance remind me of shingle style, maybe there just needs to be more hefty trim around the windows & door?

This is the kitchen (thank you 1992 for the ivy). I like the layout, and the cabinets are strong, good quality, and abundant (the wall to your right is covered floor to ceiling in cabinets), but they are a dated style. I know we could DIY reface them, but if they could be kept, or painted, or.... I don't mind the lowers so bad. Maybe keep them and paint the uppers white or light gray? of course the appliances don't match...and there's no natural gas here so, no gas stove.

The living room looks out onto the forest and shares a deck with the master through a door to the right (mirror image of the window to the left). it is a wonderful view. Is the curtain redeemable? It doesn't speak to me much... Ideas for color? it's a light seafoam. I'm a hardwood floor person, but the light brown carpet throughout the upstairs is clean, fairly new, and seems to be high quality, so it gets to stay for a while because we can't be wasteful :)

This is the master, with its special sparkly popcorn tray ceiling (and walkout to the deck. The blinds have to go and I'm thinking just sheers (I don't think there's much of a sight line or evening light into the bedroom). What can we do to make this space pretty?

I need some inspiration so I can start to lobby my husband for the construction projects!!!

Thank you!

Comments (17)