SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annum_bokhari

Long narrow great room in our new home - needs an overhaul - help!

Annum Bokhari
6 years ago

Hi everyone,

We've just purchased our first home (yay!). It's a row townhouse so unfortunately has quite a long narrow configuration on the main floor.

The floors are honey oak which i don't love, but we likely won't change them because they are in great condition, and I think we can work with them once we change some things around. The colour of the walls need to be changed - i was thinking a gray perhaps. Thoughts?

The other issue is the width of the room. Near the front of the house where the bay windows are, it's about 9 ft wide. As you move toward the back of the house it widens a little bit to 10 ft 2 inches. The total length until we get to the kitchen is 33.5 ft.

The current owners have used one of the bedrooms on the second floor as a family TV room - we will likely also do this until our little family grows (so far just me, my husband, and our 1 yr old puppy), so we don't *need* a TV in the main floor great room, but if you can think of a way to incorporate it we'd be happy to hear it. The current owners have the room set up so that the living space is near the front, near the bay windows, and the dining room closer to the kitchen. I was thinking of flipping that around because there's an extra foot of width i could use for the living space, and i could probably fit a circular dining table in the front of the house near the windows.

My style is 'contemporary' - i like greys and neutrals with some gold accents. We are really starting from scratch here, so will need to purchase a ton of furniture (our current condo doesn't have space for a dining table, and our current sectional will go into the family room)!

I'm just wondering what my options for the layouts are given the size of the room, as well as the honey oak floors (I'm open to other wall paint ideas, anything to get rid of the orange they currently have).

The photos here are from our listing so include the old owner's furniture. We don't move til January so have some time to really get this right! I definitely want to be careful of over crowding the space.

Also IF there is potential to include a TV anywhere in the great room, where would you put it? Also any tips on updating the kitchen that won't break the bank? It looks a bit dated with the dark counter top and cabinet colours.

Thank so much in advance!

Comments (7)