SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rp2b

Aloe Vera Plants in Winter

rp2b
6 years ago

I'm in zone 7b. I have one large aloe plant outdoors in a pot as well as three smaller ones (grown from the pups of the first), and four more that are still in "pup" stage in their own tiny pots. Last year was my first winter with an aloe plant and at the time I only had two plants, which I brought indoors and placed in front of a sunny window. I moved earlier this year though, and no longer have a big sunny window. In fact, I don't have a single south-facing window and my other windows let in little light due to my house's valley location with a tree-filled yard (love my house and yard, miss the sunlight!). Also, due to the furniture layout, none of those windows even have room to add a stand for a potted plant, let alone 8. What I wouldn't give for a greenhouse window over my kitchen sink! I don't even have a ledge deep enough for a single small plant.

Can I safely put my aloe plants in front of the garage windows over the winter? Obviously the garage gets cold, but the plants wouldn't be susceptible to frost since it's sheltered. Is it the cold temperatures that bother the aloe or the exposure to the elements?

Alternatively, the one window where I actually do have room for the plants is the north-facing window of my bonus room. It doesn't get direct sunlight, but it's the only indoor option I have.

Comments (2)