SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheri127

Need a solution for bad gutter design.

cheri127
6 years ago

Hi. This is a cross post from porches and decks. We're building a beach house in New Jersey with a porch on the second floor. Unfortunately, the builder didn't consult us regarding drainage and installed a system that we find unsightly. Essentially, the porch is pitched to drain into two 4" square pipes that stick out of the side of the house. It then flows into a side gutter which runs into a downspout that connects to an underground drain. It looks like an after thought instead of a well conceived design. I can't stomach the cost to take the porch apart to install a proper drain that goes straight into the downspout at the back of the house, not to mention that I know have 2 big holes cut into the siding.

I was thinking we could remove the gutter and to the existing outlets, attach some decorative scuppers which would project around 6"-8" from the wall. The builder insists that this will cause holes in the landscaping and damage to the foundation from water pouring out of the scuppers. I have a hard time believing this since the porch is only open on two sides and has a large overhang, though it does face northeast. Another option would be to somehow box in the gutter with azek trim, but that might look even worse. I really need a creative solution. Can anyone help? TIA

(Of course, we could leave it the way it is. Once the landscaping goes in and the fact that we won't really use this side of the house, it could be a non issue. If you think that's the best option, please share your thoughts!)

Comments (18)