Native Salvia?

ncrescue

Posted on Name that Plant, but no response, so since this is supposed to be a native, I will try here. Bought it two years ago at a native plant symposium in Alabama.

It had a name, but the tag blew away.

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texasranger2

That looks more like a penstemon flower to me. I found this online when I typed in 'Orange Penstemon'. Could it be an orangey version of Yellow Bush Penstemon? Keckiella antirrhinoides. The structure of the flower looks the same and so do the small leaves. It looks like the flower has a beard but its hard to see in that picture.

http://mamba.bio.uci.edu/~pjbryant/biodiv/plants/Plantaginaceae/Keckiella%20antirrhinoides.htm

There is a also red one---- Keckiella cordifolia

http://www.theodorepayne.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Keckiella_cordifolia

Save    
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Nope, that's a salvia (or a close relative thereof).

However, I don't see any yellow salvias listed for Alabama.

I suppose that doesn't preclude being a selection of a hybrids, like salvia greggii types.

Save    
peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada(5a ON Canada)

The OP ncrescue was kind enough to come back to the Name That Plant Forum to let us know it was ID'ed elsewhere as Clinopodium 'Amber Blush.'

1 Like Save    
ncrescue

Right. And I thought I also posted that information here, but apparently I did not. Someone who worked at a NC nursery, where they had once sold it, ID'd it for me on FB, where I also posted it. Let's hope it returns next year!

1 Like Save    
peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada(5a ON Canada)

Oh I hope so, it is very attractive!

Save     Thanked by ncrescue
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

Speaking of that genus, do any of you grow Clinopodium arkansanum (aka Calamintha arkansana) in your gardens? I've been curious about it after reading this:

http://ozarkedgewildflowers.com/summer-wildflowers/ozark-calamint-calamintha-arkansana/

Save     Thanked by ncrescue
ncrescue

No, but I will keep a look out for it as I could use a ground cover type in some very dry areas. Most of my Clinopodiums are C. georgianum but I do have a really great hybrid called 'Desi Arnez.' It is really evergreen in my colder zone 7.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Great Native Plant: Cleveland Sage
Get a whiff of this salvia for a garden experience to remember. Oh, and you can almost forget about maintenance
Full Story
Gardening Guides Tidy Up Sprawling Native Shrubs With These Pruning Tips
Sound horticultural pruning methods work for native and nonnative plants alike
Full Story
Gardening Guides These Hummingbird-Attracting Native Plants May Surprise You
These flowers, vines and shrubs offer shelter and food supplies that keep hummingbirds around longer
Full Story