SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethohio3

Pantry door swing

Beth
6 years ago

I don't have yet exact dimensions of between windows/trim/etc, but I am contemplating the direction of the pantry door swing.

If it swings in to the pantry, then the storage behind the door will be very hard to get to.

If it swings out from the pantry, it will block the oven and microwave.

My inclination is to have it swing out. The thoughts are:

• I can put spices on the back of the door
  • I'm used to a pantry door that swings out
  • I think it's a reasonable safety thing that the oven can't be opened while someone is in the pantry (it's not like pantry visits are long drawn-out events)
  • The shelves that would be behind the door would be accessible. I was thinking of making that area counter height as a place to keep things like the bread maker, crockpots, and even possibly a counter top oven if I ever decide I need one. (I probably won't, but that's what I'm picturing)

My husband's inclination is for it to swing in.

Here's the kitchen picture:

Since everyone always want to know how the kitchen fits into the rest of the house, here's the overall plan:

One more question: how much will I regret it if we don't put a sink in the beverage center in the dining room? It seems as if the prep sink isn't very far away, but will I regret it if there's not a sink there? I wasn't going to put one there but some changes to the design made that space bigger.

(For the record, we don't drink coffee or tea, but company does) (We entertain fairly often and have frequent house guests),

Thanks,

--Beth

Comments (14)