SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurensing

Small, narrow living room - help!

laurensing
6 years ago

Hello! I just moved into this renovated 1940 bungalow from a modern condo. The previous homeowners added a staircase, which shrinks the living room. I have a few questions/ideas and need help figuring out how to arrange everything. Nothing needs to stay where it is. The sofa could move a bit further from the door, but if it moves closer to the door it sits at a large angle from the TV.

* The wall over the sofa is giving me a hard time. The large painting isn't centered over the sofa but it's centered on the wall. Put together a gallery wall to fill the odd shaped space? Put up fun printed wallpaper and nothing else?

* I'm thinking an area rug would help define the space. What color or pattern would look best?

* I'd like to add 1-2 chairs for guests (I pulled the 2 beige chairs from my dining table to test it out). What type and color/pattern would look best? I'm not a huge pattern person, but maybe something subtle or geometric?

* The storage bench to the left of the fireplace was just stuck there to cover wires running along the baseboard, what might look better?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Lauren

Comments (19)