SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_clewett

Vanity lighting in small ensuite

Lindsey Clewett
6 years ago

I'm renovating my small (2.1m x 1.8m) ensuite. Along the long wall there'll be a 1m shower and a 1m vanity. The vanity will sit snug in the corner. Above the vanity there will be a recessed mirrored cabinet. The wall recess is only 7cm so the cabinet will still protrude a reasonable amount. I'm deciding on task lighting.

My question is does everyone find this style of over-cabinet lighting suitable for make-up and other close-up work?

More info (if you can be bothered to keep reading):

I've read the articles that advise on minimum 3000 kelvin, 1000-1500 lumens and 90-100 CRI etc. And I have also read that the best positioning is side-on (sconces) and definitely don't use downlights.

As it's a small bathroom, and we're moving from a full size to a floating vanity, we want to maximise the size of the cabinet. This would serve the dual purpose of giving us additional storage space and reflecting more light into the room with a bigger mirror. (The window will be to the right of the cabinet, similar to the above photo. Previously we had a huge flat mirror that extended the full width of the 90cm vanity, with an old fashioned hollywood mirror globe strip above.) I figure I have two options:

1) reduce the size of the cabinet and attach slim lights vertically.

2) keep the cabinet as large as we can allowing the doors to still open and place a light horizontally above it, along as much of the width as possible.

I'm currently considering this light (in white, not black):

https://www.beaconlighting.com.au/kings-600mm-dimmable-led-wall-bracket-in-black-teak-8cf74b.html

mounted like this (i.e. onto a mirrored extension fitted above the cabinet):

As an aside, the task lighting will be accented by a ceiling 3-in-1 heat/fan/light and either under-cabinet strip "mood" lighting and/or a night light that will sit low to the ground and suits the purpose of lighting the room just enough to see what you're doing when you go to the loo at night.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert