SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Cats and the Christmas tree

6 years ago

I don't usually think or talk about Christmas before Halloween (and even Thanksgiving) but the realtor we bought our last house from has an event where they give away Christmas trees in December. He wanted to know if I want one. I haven't had a tree in years but I think we've decided to go to our lake place for Christmas (scrapped the Vermont idea) and we have plenty of room for a tree so I said I'd like one.

Now I'm pondering how to keep my youngest cat from toppling the tree. Other than tipping it over and spilling tree water on the carpet or electrocuting herself (think Christmas Vacation) I don't think there's much harm she could do other than possibly eating it. I haven't even used the Christmas decorations in years so if she breaks something I don't care.

Our house is a timber frame and there's a big post right in the corner where I want to put it so I'm thinking I could somehow "strap" the tree to the post with a couple inconspicuous nails/hooks/rope/wire/etc. of some sort. Has anyone ever done something like this and what other advice do you have for cat proofing the tree?

I've had trees with a few other cats and they didn't bother them much other than once tipped over. I learned year one not to use tinsel when I saw it hanging out of one cat's rear. However the young cat I have now is somewhat of a maniac.

Comments (13)