SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gina_giorgi

Plumeria Cuttings—Novice’s Concerns

Gina
6 years ago

Hi all!

I purchased 3 plumeria cuttings in late August and read everything I could find about propagating from cuttings before planting. It’s been months and I’ve been watching them obsessively and am concerned I’m missing some obvious solution to get them going. I bought two cuttings last year and didn’t have enough light in my apartment to give them a chance

I planted (unfortunately, not in a clear container—I just discovers that trick today) the callused cuttings in well-draining perlite-cactus soil, watered them once every 2 weeks when the soil was fully dry. They have a grow light on for about 8-10 hours a day and are in a warm room with heated floor. I’m in Minnesota, so they’ve been indoors for about a month. They’ve definitely greened up, claws emerged at all the tips and the starts of new leaves have come as well (see pictures). One had wonderful little starts of leaves, but when I checked a day later they had started to blacken and then fell off.

It just seems that they aren’t rooting well and the leaves aren’t really coming as quickly as i thought they would by now. On many websites it seems to say that “once you start seeing claws and the start of leaves, they’ve rooted, you did it, congrats!!”...but mine don’t seem to be progressing now.

One has a little black spot that might be fungus, but I’m not sure at this point.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m a nervous wreck!

Thanks,

Gina

Comments (2)