SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diatom_shells

I need recommendations from PNW red rose growers...

Va Joh(zone8b)
6 years ago

My husband and I are in the process of buying our first home and I am looking for help in figuring out the perfect red garden rose for my yard. I plan on doing a boxwood hedge, or something similar, along the walkway and behind the boxwood I want to do a line of red roses. The roses’ “feet” will be hidden by the box hedge on both sides of the the walkway. It’s just a straight walkway to the door. The door is red, hence the red roses to match.

My question is I want to know what red rose would be the best for my climate and garden conditions. The soil is acidic clay. Plenty of sun. We are in zone 8b, so those who live near Portland, Oregon that grow red roses would be an invaluable resource of information for me. We have hot summers, mild winters and rainy spring and autumn weather. So more substance in the petals helps with the excessive rain. The type of red rose I am looking for is an exhibition style bloom, quick repeat and does well in high heat. Doesn’t slow it’s blooming down in high heat. It doesn’t need to be fragrant but that would be a bonus if it was. I am more concerned with having the bush have blooms that last a while on the bush and can repeat quickly to keep the aesthetic alive during the growing seasons. Also the type of red color I am looking for is a red that doesn’t turn pink or go blue and no purple. A true red. Also the bush would need to be around 4’ tall and doesn’t mound. More so a narrow bush that keeps most flowers at the top of the bush. A V-shape maybe 2’ to 3’ max in width. Does anyone grow a red rose like this that has similar growing conditions? I don’t mind spraying a little but would definitely prefer a somewhat disease resistant bush. Am I being unrealistic? Lol it’s ok to tell me so as I am new to roses.

You guys have been so great here and thanks to all who can help me figure this out. I have only grown one red rose so far and that was Crimson Bouquet. While that rose is pretty and does last forever on the bush, with great repeat, and is heat resistant, the bloom form is off and the bush too short. I look forward to your suggestions and recommendations. Also if you have any pictures that would also be absolutely wonderful! Thank you!

Comments (6)