SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blazedog37

Help - What Appliances For A Small Kitchen Remodel

Helen
6 years ago

I am gutting my small galley kitchen - approximately 8" x 10". The length available for counters and appliances is 123" on either side.

I do plan on building out some cabinetry into the adjacent dining area for additional storage.

My designer is recommending a cook top (approximately 30") plus a wall oven - or more accurately a combination wall oven with attached microwave.

I am reluctant to get an attached microwave since my experience is that microwaves die more quickly than ovens and are less easily repaired.

If I went the wall oven route, I would think a single wall oven (either 27" or 30") plus building a shelf or cabinet and just keep a regular microwave in there - so long as it isn't taking up counter space).

Or I could go with some kind of Adventium Speed Cooker/microwave combination. My understanding is that only the 240 v models are worth getting. Or perhaps there is another brand that is worth considering.

Or I could just go with a slide in range in lieu of cooktop and wall ovens.

My old stove had a small oven/broiler built on top which I used ALL the time until it broke from use :-(

I live alone and although I enjoy cooking and baking, my lifestyle is not such that I am cooking for large crowds so that I need multiple ovens.

I am concerned with the functionality - especially the ergonomics of reaching the oven as I "age in place" so the wall oven could be placed at an ideal height for me and I wouldn't have to bend and lift as I would with a stove - especially one that has double ovens as many of them seem to at this time.

I am willing to spend a decent amount for good appliances - i.e. Bosch quality, KA or the equivalent or anything functional and well reviewed. I have read good things about the Kenmore brands which are manufactured by the major brands anyway.

Sorry this is long - any input on the this would be welcome.

Comments (4)