My friend lost her spouse very suddenly & I don't know how to help her
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (9)
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
I'm hurt by how I was treated by friend at lunch at her house
Comments (29)Ok, I've answered some of these points above already but once again to clarify: 1. There wasn't enough room at the table, so we did fix a plate but it wasn't just a matter of taking our seats. There were no seats to take. Going to the kitchen was a last resort - I didn't know what else to do. 2. The hostess had not yet eaten by the time we arrived. So she couldn't remain sitting at the table and eat without getting up. She wasn't already sitting at the table. She was standing, fixing herself a plate. 3. I didn't realize how late we were till we got there - there was no set starting time and she lives an hour away, we sat in the Friday-Afternoon-Heading-Out-Of-Town traffic which I don't know if you can imagine unless you live in a place like Houston where it's unpredictable at best and can be horrific. 4. My children, ages 17 and 20 WERE includded - it's a holiday. (for those who aren't Jewish, maybe that's not meaning anything to you, but would you go to a friend's house for say, Easter Lunch, and leave your kids at home, no matter what age? This would be comparable to that. In any case the invitation which was sent via email said, You and your family. There's NO question, the kids were included. 5. She made no attempt to sit near us. She put her plate down as if she meant to sit near us but came back before ever sitting anywhere, picked up her plate, and went to the other table. I don't mind if she sat with us or not, it's just the way she acted as if she was going to, then apparently changed her mind. Even THAT wouldn't have mattered had it been a table with others in addition to just our family. It was just weird, the four of us, sitting alone in the kitchen, no other guests sitting or eating with us, the rest of the entire party in another room, and no attempt to integrate us into the party. Yeah, we're guilty of being late. But as hostess, it's her duty to make us comfortable and welcome, late or not. That's what I think you'd learn in an etiquette class. 6. And again - we were about 20 minutes late. Is that really late enough to turn around after being in the car one hour and not show up at all? If someone were 20 minutes late to my house and let that convince them to blow off my party, I'd be horrified. 7. I HAVE gotten over this, WAY over this. I wasn't going to answer lizzynola's post for that reason and because most of her questions/comments had already been covered in my previous posts. But since the discussion continues, I'm answering. I am glad I was able to vent here. I'm no longer mad or hurt. I'm still good friends with her. She had no ill intentions. I thank you all for your comments. May...See MoreMy Friend gets beat by her husband..how can i help?
Comments (17)SHE MUST GET OUT. Period. This person could kill her - I am not exaggerating. The sooner and faster the better. Physical abuse is a deal breaker. Having said that, I realize that she won't leave him on her own volition...right now. But here are some suggestions: 1) Do some research for her - find a women's shelter that puts women in protective care and keeps their whereabouts confidential...the kind that basically helps them "disappear," and offers counseling on a daily basis. Have it ready if/when she's ready to consider it. 2) Unless she is convinced that she must leave, she will almost certainly return, even if she were to leave for awhile. Find a counselor in your area who specializes in women's issues and abuse issues, and encourage (STRONGLY and CONTINUALLY encourage) her to visit. 3) Call the cops. Ask them what you can/should do as someone who knows what's going on. They can advise you on what - if anything - you may be able to do if the situation you described happens again. 4) Keep her trust and be her friend so that you can be her confidante. You may be the only person she's telling and she needs to be telling someone. Even if you "push" a bit to get her out of her home, always let her know how much you care about her, and that you're there for her. Get her talking about the abuse (ask her how she feels when it's happening, ask her if she thinks it's okay for a husband to beat his wife, etc.). Also talk to her about how she sees herself - chances are she has a very low view of herself and you can help "re-frame" her views by telling her how valuable you think she is. Sometimes an "a-ha" moment is possible for a person when they begin to hear themselves talk. And keep telling her - with as much urgency as you can - that she should never be treated this way by anyone and that she needs to get out ASAP. 5) Find out if she's talking to anyone else about this. If she has family that are reliable and who know what's going on, consider putting together an "intervention," wherein everyone sits her down for a "come to Jesus" talk about the danger she's in. It's good that you want to be her friend. She's lucky to have you....See MoreFriend lost all of her succulents
Comments (7)Thank you both! I will post pics of the ones that I don't know how to start. I have plenty of jades for her, Deva33, but thank you so much for the offer! We are both up here in between Mason City and Algona. It would be quite a drive, although I have made that trip a few times. I collect, but am not good on keeping the names or finding out what they are. My friend and I have shared plants back and forth. Just so sad to hear that this happened to her. I will post a few pics this weekend and look forward to your responses. Mona...See MoreI'm helping my friend unclutter her home. She is a widow.
Comments (23)No, it did not sound as if your friend was one of those who was threatened to be killed by her hoarding. Not all are like that. I have seen people who just resort to shopping as a crutch when life happens. As a person who is devoted to an uncluttered lifestyle, I struggle with my daughters house. I have to almost tie my hands when I go there. Her life is so full with commuting, career and family that I cannot help but see, that if her home was less cluttered it would be so much easier to manage. They are not really hoarders. They are clutterers. Even just putting anything away is twice the chore it ought to be because so much has to be juggled. Most of that juggling is so totally unnecessary if they would only cull out the useless from the useful. Everything is a balancing and juggling act. Why? Meanwhile, it grieves me to see her so strung out and stressed so much of the time when I know how true it is that clearing the clutter and having a more organized environment makes the chores of life and family flow so much smoother. They really need some calm and order in their lives....See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

FEEL-GOOD HOMEHer Home Is Her Therapist
When she remembers to change her perspective and have a little fun, her home helps her through winter’s low points
Full Story
FUN HOUZZEverything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
MY HOUZZMy Houzz: Friends Help With the DIY Redo of a San Antonio Kitchen
A Texas homeowner and her pals transform the room with green painted cabinets, open shelving and shiplap walls
Full Story
COLORA Designer Shares Her 5 Go-To Paint Colors
Whether she’s looking for something playful or dramatic, Jennifer Ott knows these paint colors will always deliver
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNWhy a Designer Kept Her Kitchen Walls
Closed kitchens help hide messes (and smells) and create a zone for ‘me time.’ Do you like your kitchen open or closed?
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDHouzz Tour: Retired Soldier Creates Her Dream Home in Sweden
A Swedish family's fantasy of a rural retreat becomes a reality after years of renovations
Full Story
APARTMENT LIFEA Renter Finds Her Personal Boho-Chic Style
See how a designer helps a San Francisco renter find inspiration and invest in her decor
Full Story
COMMUNITYGood Neighbors Make Her Street Feel More Like Home
A local historian, a burglary stopper and the world’s greatest grandparents have enriched this writer’s life
Full Story
HOUZZ TVMy Houzz: Kristen Bell Treats Her Sister to a Bright New Basement
In this Houzz original video, the actor uses Houzz to find a designer, buy products and create a family-friendly space
Full Story
BATHROOM MAKEOVERS2 Compact-Bathroom Makeovers, for Her and for Him
She likes warm and light; he likes bold and graphic. A designer helps both of them get what they want
Full StorySponsored
mdln