SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Record for 'Swimmers Ear'?

chisue
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Have you ever felt like you were living under water with liquid behind your ear? How long did it take to clear?

September 1 an infection struck in my right ear without warning -- YEOW! I'd just finished showering. I was seen in out-patient and treated with antibiotics. The ear has remained 'closed' ever since, and the left ear soon also developed liquid and 'closed up'. I saw an ENT, who said, "Be patient. This will clear."

I've had this condition twice before -- just 'closed', without the painful infection, and not in both ears at the same time. It did clear. I know that the last time it was at least six weeks before I could hear normally.

This is 'getting old'. Anyone else had this, and had it over and over?

Comments (32)

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

One of our kids when a toddler was prone to ear infections every few months, which I would pick up from them.

It can take a long time to clear, what's up is your Eustachian tube got inflamed/infected/clogged and that needs to resolve.

What the ENT told me to do at the time (and it worked) was to take Sudafed (if you can tolerate it) and give yourself steam inhalation treatments a few times a day. Breath it in through both your nose and your mouth. I found it was easiest to do with a pan of boiling water and a towel over my head. Remember to turn off the stovetop and move the pan to a different burner before bending over it with a towel on your head.

What sometimes also can help is trying to yawn hard. Or, in a pinch, hold your nose, close your mouth, and blow (like a diver equalizing pressure). Don't do that without a doctor's okay. See a doctor before too long, you don't want to get on an airplane with a clogged ear. I had to do it once, the pain was awful.

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

I don't want to be a contrarian here, but how can an ear infection be contagious? Although an upper respiratory infection that could ultimately lead to one, could be.

• Related Discussions

Greenviolet eared hummer in New Jersey

Q

Comments (18)
    Scott Elowitz, a local NJ photographer, got some pictures. See the link below. The birders who were there when I was were all very quiet and not very close to the feeder at all, so I don't think that had an impact on the bird. Historically, most of these rare stray hummers don't stay too long at one location, but you never know. Here is a link that might be useful: Scott Elowitz's photos
    ...See More

A record scaping year for me? *Pic Heavy*

Q

Comments (1)
    Growing some lush hosta there Brandy. They look really happy.
    ...See More

scab on inside of dog's ear

Q

Comments (19)
    As a vet tech here's what I'd suggest. If it's been wet and soggy around the best thing for your dogs paw is to clean it gently but good with soap/water and make sure it stays dry, no licking. Watch inbetween the dogs toes for redness/itching too and do the same if needed. If your going to give your dog anything for allergies I would try 1 tablet of regular benadryl in the pink/white box once daily. If that doesn't work after a few days then contact your vet you don't want to try various antihistamines because they could have things like sudafed (decongestants) in them that dogs bodies can't handle. As far as the ears you did great! As for the nails you might try the new Pedi Paws it could be the feel of the nail clippers or sound that bothers your dog. I get a hand full of dog food and set it aside, if my dog is good the first couple nails I give him praise and a treat etc. Just watch for the nails curling around if they get too long they can grow into the dogs pads but every dogs normal nail length is different. Here is a link that might be useful: Pedi Paws
    ...See More

Swimmers Itch

Q

Comments (5)
    did the dr sugggest ear plugs? that's what my dgd uses...the kind they use are these soft self forming ones... had 3 swimmers in the family so it was standard to use the swimmer ear drops...between the drops and the shampoo to keep their hair from turning green it was fun, lol..
    ...See More
  • OklaMoni
    6 years ago

Not helpful after such a long time...but to not let it get there in the first place put a few drops of rubbing alcohol in as soon as you realize you got water stuck in there, and tilt your head to feel the alcohol hit the water and then turn your head the other way so all can run out. Of course you can also purchase special drops for this now a days.

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

I had a BIL who suffered with swimmers ear his whole adult life despite RX's. Perhaps he did not following the labelling directions?

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Elizabeth, yep your right ya can't catch an ear infection from someone or anyone or my kids LOL

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

Yes. My kids had those middle ear infections too...as I am sure yours did.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

No advice, but lots of sympathy. I had swimmer's ear once- it was awful. I hope you get well soon.

• chisue
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've titled this 'swimmers ear', because it is *similar* to that. This is discolored, infected liquid behind both eardrums that the ENT can see with his microscope.

Sooo, anyone else have *this* (otitus media?), and how long did it last?

I'm starting to wonder if I will have to have 'tubes' inserted. I've know children who had that minor surgery. I'll try the steam -- have a handy-dandy steamer from my sinusitis days.

The ENT said he might do a 'throat scan' -- whatever that is -- and that whoever did my tonsillectomy didn't do a thorough job. (I only remember waking to horrible pain from that; no pain remediation in 1946.)

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

Is he implying adenoids?

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Chisue my eldest son and eldest grandson both had chronic ear infections. My son had tubes twice and Tim 3 times. The E tube didn't drain properly so fluid would build up than bacteria would grow. Tims last tubes fell out about 3 years ago and he's only had about 4 infections since. They used to have a great deal of pain with the otitis media. I have had chronic swimmers ear my entire life. I've gotton very good at prevention but it always started for me with very itchy ears right inside the canal. I let it go once and omg I ended up with a full blown ear infection and thought my head would explode the pain was tremendous. This was about 8 years ago. After about a week of antibotics I ended up at a ENT who explained he needed to drain and scrape my ear. I don't need to tell you how that hurt. I've had a few episodes of the swimmers getting worse because i ignored the symptoms but managed to start meds before it was full blown.

Chisue I feel very sad for you going thru this it really is very painful. You can't get any water in your ears during treatment of this infection so don't wash your hair. I really hope your feeling better soon.

• nicole___
    6 years ago

Chisue...hope you feel better.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

I didn't realize how many of you were physicians and/or had/have kids who never got sick.

When our kids were toddlers, they were sponges for the disease of the week or month that got passed around in their preschools. Not every time but often, either or both of us would also get what they had. One of our kids seemed particularly prone to ear infections developing from goopy/snotty/head congestion/sinus infection/upper respiratory bouts every 3 or 4 months. When a kid is coughing/sneezing/dripping snot all over you in the course of caring for them, you'll often catch what they have. And so I did. And the cause seemingly would always be bacterial when an ear infection developed because a course of antibiotics (for them and for me) resolved the pain symptom in a few days. But not the clogged ears. The clogged ear was treated as I said above

When that kid grew out of having frequent ear infections (the Eustachian tubes grow and becomes less prone to clogging), I stopped getting ear infections too. I didn't have them before nor since. You medical experts can reach your own conclusion, as I did.

• frogged
    6 years ago

As baby/Toddler to about seven I had chronic ear infections only clearing when I finally had surgery to have tubes put in and my tonsils and adenoids removed. I don't recall how long they lasted seemed a week or two to clear an
    infection, I had water trapped and tore my ear drum mildly trying to
    get it out. That cleared up within a few days.

The infections were very painful and embarrassing sitting in school with cotton stuffed in my ears to catch the drip. I remember having dreams of whirlpools and feeling like I was going in circles being sucked around. Then the infection would break open and the pain would start to ease. I blame an old school country doc for not acting sooner, I believe a lot of damage was done. My hearing and other things were all affected due to infection, fevers, stress, and constant prescriptions of antibiotics and no concerns for a child in pain.

As for cause I remember having to wear ear plugs, and swim caps when I went swimming and being careful washing my hair. I also remember taking antibiotics which I think is debatable today if they even work on ear infection because they may be viral not bacterial... not sure if this was determined or being investigated. My nephew as a toddler would get sore throats and ear issues due to allergies and postnasal drip, he needed antihistamines to prevent and grew out of the issue.

You have my sympathy, hopefully things will clear up soon and you feel like yourself again. I wonder if there are things you could do to prevent this in the future. Ear plugs, diet- ie food allergies can effect ears, nose, throat., What else was going on in the environment when your ears were effected. The old an ounce of prevention line.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

An otis media ear infection will only "drip" infection, if the ear drum has perforated, and if it has, that's very serious.

Swimmer's ear is usually caused by the ubiquous bacteria called pseudomonas aeruginosa. It's a gram-negative bacteria that is found in the soil, air and in water. It usually is harmless but it can get in the ear and cause "swimmer's ear".

This bacteria is also associated with many hospital-acquired and ventilator caused infections. It often causes pneumonia in these situations.

The other people it bothers are those with bronchiectasis, and most of them also have Cystic Fibrosis. When it colonizes (an overgrowth of bacteria that is already there), it can make one very, very sick. Due to being a gram-negative bacteria, is is hard to treat with antibiotics as it is often resistant to many.

How does Miss Know-It-All know about this? I have it! I don't have CF - I have non-CF bronchiectasis and my pseudomonas is a constant battle. I am now on a twice-daily inhaled antibiotic - 28 days on, 28 days off. Today, is the first day off! Hooray - one less breathing treatment, twice daily!

I remember when my children were babies/preschool age. It seemed as if they or I were constantly sick, so much so that I called my pediatrician in despair - someone is ALWAYS sick in my house - what am I doing wrong!!! He told me that young children have an average of 8-12 upper respiratory infections each year. Let's assume that I was unlucky and mine each had 12. Let's assume that I caught one every time one of them had one. We're now up to 48 weeks a year with someone sick! Eventually, the develop an immune system and get healthy and that made me healthier as well. But it was a rough go for a few years.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I'm still in that loop with the two boys. One or both always have something. Than its passed around the house. And hand washing only goes so far as much is air borne. I understand catching things the boys get but ear infections...no.

Anglo Thanks for the info its interesting.

Tim will survive all the viruses just fine but Chips a different story. With his acute asthma I don't need to tell you what happens with even the slightest viral infection and what its doing to his lungs.

• mojomom
    6 years ago

In my mid-30s, I had a long lasting ear infection and was planning on going on a flight the next day I went to the ENT and he put in a small tube. No sedaition required for an adult because we are capable of remaining still for the procedure. It took all of ten minutes from the time the Dr, walked in, examined, discussed and popped in the tub. The only pain was a quick pinch. Almost instant relief. The tube fell out on its on 3-4 weeks later, but all was well by that time.

DD has small eustation tubes and had chronic ear infections beginning as an infant. She had tubes inserted multiple times --probably about 7-8 times, continuing until her early teens, when her tonsils and adenoids were also removed. Multiple tubes and infections damaged her eardrums. She also suffered some mild hearing loss. She ended up having to have her eardrum reconstructed as an older teen. She still gets ear infections occasionally , but thankfully, not as severe or as prolonged.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

"I understand catching things the boys get but ear infections...no."

I mentioned my experience, you contradicted what I said. I explained further, you've repeated the same thing again to contradict.

What's your point?

• anoriginal
    6 years ago

kinda surprised that OklaMoni seems to be only person to mention putting a few drops of rubbing alcohol in the ear? works instantly to get that "stuck" water to move... from swimming.

• irma
    6 years ago

Copied this from the internet

Ear infections are not contagious or spread from one person to another,
    but the colds that result in ear infections are. Colds are spread when
    germs are released from the nose or mouth during coughing or sneezing.
    Anything that can reduce the spread of germs will help reduce ear
    infections.

So, if you get your child's cold it can lead to an ear infection.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Irma. Yep. But the ear infection itself can not be spread. Thank you Irma for the info.

• irma
    6 years ago

ElizabethA, sorry I missed your post above. In essence you already stated what I did.

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

Irma...No apology necessary. :)

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

I've had them on and off for years, I'm very prone to them as both my eardrums were punctured and I also have otosclerosis. I was treated with RX like you but my dr. said "If not resolved in two weeks, we will give a second run of antibiotics". It always took two for me. I would use drops of alcohol to dry it up quicker or Swimmers Ear drops.

• chisue
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the commiseration, but you can save *some* of it. I'm not in pain. I'm just 'deef', and when I speak it sounds to me as though I am underwater. I've never had pain with this condition before the way this episode began on September 1.

I plan to call the ENT if this has not cleared by Nov. 1. Although I have flown with my 'underwater' ears and not had a problem, this may be a different kettle of fish. haha

DH and I are both starting to suffer general hearing loss, so you can imagine what it's like around the house now: WHAT? I can't HEAR you! But I thought you said ____. Are you even LISTENING TO ME?

Once this resolves -- or is resolved -- we both need to have our hearing tested. Anyone get a preliminary test at Costco? Any opinions, seagrass?

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

I understand chisue, pain is only common if there's an infection in the area. The sound blocking fluid, whether or not from an infection, needs to drain all the same for hearing to be normal and it does take time.

I know that Costco is well regarded as a source for reasonably priced hearing devices but my own preference would be to see an audiologist NOT affiliated with a large scale hearing aid sales operation. Like one working at a large-enough sized and respected medical group.

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

I I once had a bad case of ear infection /water in the ear. It took quite a while to resolve itself. I had hearing and balance problems and things like that. So I use old-fashioned methods more for Comfort than anything but I did find that a heated pad against my ear offered a great deal of comfort. It wasn't because of pain but because for a few minutes I guess the Heat would steam up the water inside my ear and I would have temporary resolution. I did this one time for a week every day and I did find measurable relief. I do think time (approx. six months) and jumping up and down with my ear facing the floor were the real cures. "/_

• Aprile
    6 years ago

I suffer from Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, I have all my life. If my ear drums are not open I get fluid behind the ears all the time that turn into infections that have also turned into Mastoiditis NOT FUN!

When I first started getting fluid in my ears the doctors would give me antibiotics and allergy meds to try and clear the infection and dry up the fluid. They would usually give it about 4 months before they'd tube my ears or my eardrum would rupture on it's own. Finally they realized it would just keep happening as soon as the tubes would fall out if I had them inserted and the eardrum closed back up.

I am 46 years old. My right eardrum is completely gone and the doctors have decided to leave it that way. I have to be super careful and wear ear plugs in the shower or if I go swimming. But I am proof you do not have to have an eardrum. My left eardrum was ruptured for a long time and they also chose to leave it but I noticed around the first of the year I was getting pain and that full of fluid feeling where if I tilted my head side ways the fluid would move and the pressure would subside until I righted my head.

I recently moved to Florida and had to see a new ear doctor. Even after explaining I knew what I had and needed a tube he prescribed the old antibiotic treatment and allergy meds. It of course did not work. The pain in my ear was getting severe to the point I was in tears walking around with hot compresses on it all the time. I chose to go to a different ent who looked in my ear and sent me right away to Ear surgeon in Tampa. My eardrum had grown back and retracted to the point it wrapped around the small bones in my ear. I had surgery in July to try and unwrap it but the doctor couldn't and decided to put a tube in to see if he can re-inflate. So far it isn't moving so if I go back next month and it hasn't moved the doctor plans to go in and remove my left eardrum and leave it open like my right ear.

So I am living proof that ruptured eardrums aren't always that bad, they will grow back and trust me when they rupture you will know it is super painful then all that pressure and pain goes away. If your eardrum does rupture you need to wear ear plugs going into any water because any water that gets in your ear will not be stopped by the eardrum and will go all the way into your ear and can cause a massive infection. My recommendation is if it hasn't cleared up in a month see another ENT. I also have what they call glue ear. My ears drain this crap that sticks inside my ear canal and is super hard to clean off without soaking a cotton swab and loosening the gunk because if you try to clean it dry it takes your skin off.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    6 years ago

chisue - when I started out in my profession (late 70's) audiologists were not allowed by our national professional organization to dispense hearing aids. It was considered a conflict of interest. Now, that's not the norm. I don't have specific advise to offer but I would probably gravitate towards a hospital based audiology or speech and hearing clinic where the providers aren't motivated by the bottom line of a physician's practice or a private practice.

• mojomom
    6 years ago

As a kid at camp, we always had alcohol drops but into our ears every evenafter dinner to prevent swimmers ear, but I don't know if it helps after the infection sets in.

If you suspect wax buildup, try pouring a capful of hydrogen peroxide in each ear (one at a time) and lie on your side for 5-10 minutes for it to quit the snap crackle pop. This was recommended to DH by a physician and we've both done it from time to time. Certainly no ill effects, so might be worth a try.

• chisue
    Original Author
    6 years ago

seagrass -- Thanks for the help; much appreciated. Of course, Costco does sell hearing aids, but so does my ENT practice -- still a private concern, not absorbed by one of our hospital conglomerates like all my other MDs. I am leery of the ENT/Sales thing. I have no idea why hearing aids are SO expensive, and they are at least less from Costco. I think one can be tested without obligation to buy there.

I know both of us have hearing loss. DH's seems to have only begun a year ago, but is accelerating. Since *I* am 'underwater', that not be true!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

I occasionally (every 10 years or so) get an episode with my ears due to allergies that drags on for months. Usually, the third round of antibiotics allows me to return to normal hearing. I hate that underwater feeling and I hope that it clears for you, Chisue.