SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deyoung1962

Can I mix a white fridge in with other stainless appliances?

deyoung1962
6 years ago

I am building a new home. I want stainless appliances except would like a white fridge. I am putting in a white apron front farmhouse sink. I have had white, black, and stainless refrigerators in the past and the one that always looked nicest was the white one. Both black and stainless always had fingerprints and spots. I've got grandkids and a disabled brother at my home a lot and they are messy. Can I mix in a white fridge with all the other appliances stainless? Cabinets are dark, counter top is white, grey, putty, black mix. Open floor plan, high ceilings, lots of windows. Hubby says all applianced should match. I just kinda want what I want, but I am no designer.

Help

Comments (53)

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

It's your home, I don't see why not. I currently have stainless and black stainless in my kitchen.

deyoung1962 thanked Cinar Interiors, Inc.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Look at the Whirlpool Ice line. I went all white this time, but loved the Ice after it was part of the House Beautiful’s kitchen of the year. The stainless touches are many and generous. Whirlpool also has other pieces in this line which are stainless and black, but have the same handles. I think the white fridge and the stainless dishwasher look fine together.

The reason I posted this photo is to show you how white the fridge is….B.M. Super White is almost a perfect match.

• Related Discussions

MIx white appliances with stainless steel?

Q

Comments (3)
    This might be a good time to look into getting a panelled DW to match your cupboards. someone a few weeks ago found a MW that was SS with white. Can the trash compactor be panelled also? I have white appliances, but everything on the counter is SS. Toaster oven, coffee makers, faucets, etc. Is your MW going to be built in, over the stove, on the counter...?
    ...See More

Poll: Mix Appliances - Stainless Fridge Next to Black Wall Ovens?

Q

Comments (4)
    Just be aware, Uba Tuba is green, not black. It's really dark, but it's green. I think the stainless fridge will look fine with the black oven if it works with your overall design scheme. A fridge stands there by itself, and is tall and wide. It has a different presence than an oven, so it's easy to make it a different color. Which is probably why you thought of it!
    ...See More

white fridge with stainless appliances! Help!

Q

Comments (3)
    Hello again! The fridge is a GE PFIC1NFY in white (this is the AJ Madison link http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi- bin/ajmadison/PFIC1NFY.html?mv_pc=fr&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base). The handles came with the fridge and are 'built on'. If the cabinets were white the would blens in.. but with the cream they stand out.
    ...See More

Mixing appliance colors (white and stainless) (pics)

Q

Comments (9)
    We will mix stainless and white as well, as our fridge is white and still looks new. It would be a waste of $$ to change it out at this point. Our wall oven and warming drawer are stainless, our cooktop is white with gray grates, and I am thinking about either a stainless dishwasher or a white one with stainless handle. It is possible when we get to that point, I may change my mind and want to change out everything, but right now, I just cannot justify that added expense. FWIW, I think that white and "silver" go well together, so it will be just fine. At this point, I am calling the stainless "a little jewelry" in my kitchen. Laurie 2008, I am wondering what your countertop is--it looks really nice.
    ...See More
  • chloebud
    6 years ago

I would look into Judy's suggestion. My personal choice would be stainless which, for me, is easier to keep clean than white appliances we had in a previous home.

• deyoung1962
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for the pic. I will look into the ice line

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Does the refrigerator really project that much in front of the cabinet line?

• deyoung1962
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The cabinets are Kraft Maid in a dark brown "Kaffe" stain.

• kayled
    6 years ago

I think it will be hard to avoid keeping it from looking mismatched, which is a shame for a newly remodeled Kitchen. Why not all white appliances? Or paneled? Or smudge-proof stainless steel? Or get a fun retro colorful fridge?

deyoung1962 thanked kayled
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

Virgil…lol, no…it is a photoshop that I posted to show the OP how white the line is...

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

They thought they ordered a four foot WIDE refrigerator.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

If you put enough children's artwork on the refrigerator it will not matter what color it is.

• wishiwereintheup
    6 years ago

I don't see why not. It's your kitchen, do what you like. White would pretty much match anything, even harvest gold. Mixing avocado with harvest gold would be a different story. ;)

• er612
    6 years ago

Just curious why not get all white appliances?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

This is the ultimate "Do-What-You-Want, It's-Your-House" thread...! :-)

deyoung1962 thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • Mrs Pete
    6 years ago

Having been forced to live with mismatched appliances for too many years, I vote no. I would not purposefully go with a mismatch. I think it'll cheapen your new kitchen.

deyoung1962 thanked Mrs Pete
  • DrB477
    6 years ago

I had two kitchens with a white fridge and stainless appliances. It looks like I replaced all the appliances except the fridge. Which is exactly what I did...

Its not the ugliest thing ever but it's not the best and definitely looks mismatched.

deyoung1962 thanked DrB477
  • bluesanne
    6 years ago

Form follows function.

If it works for YOU and it doesn't bother YOU, who care what anyone else thinks? Perhaps if you were planning to sell within the next five years it would be a consideration, but otherwise it's your choice.

On the other hand...

Thehe white refrigerator with the chrome handles is a great way to satisfy both form and function...it ties the look together without the giant chrome fingerprint magnet dominating the kitchen .

deyoung1962 thanked bluesanne
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

UGH AND NO? Unless you want to hear what you want to hear.: ) Get a fridge with a trim kit option and match the cabinetry, but no to the white, which will stick out like the sorest thumb on the planet as any other white apps will as well, amid "dark cabinets".. I say that with no apologies, as it is simple truth. Too much "touchy feely" kindness can lead to design misery.......: (

PS...... I'd do the apron sink in stainless too.

deyoung1962 thanked JAN MOYER
  • Lynn in Parkton, Maryland
    6 years ago

It's your kitchen and your decision. I had to make a stainless steel / white frig decision a few years back. My frig is not fully built in and has one exposed side. At the time I could not buy one that was stainless steel all around. The sides would have been black and I did not want that so, I opted for a white frig. I have all stainless steel appliances, dark cherry cabinets, a white corian counter, and a white frig. Sink and fixtures also are stainless steel. It looks fine / good together. I would not have been happy with a black side exposed. I find the white much easier to keep spot / smear free than the stainless steel. It was a new, modern frig, so it looks new like the rest of the appliances. I think the white counter top really holds / ties it together.

deyoung1962 thanked Lynn in Parkton, Maryland
  • chloebud
    6 years ago

Jan has a good point regarding a white fridge with dark cabinets. Stainless is a much better (and neutral) blend with almost any cabinet color. Obviously a fridge is large. A white one mixed with stainless appliances seems like it would and be very noticeable. As I already mentioned, my white fridge required more wiping than my current ss one.

deyoung1962 thanked chloebud
  • DrB477
    6 years ago

When we moved in 6 years ago we updated appliances, paint, hardware as sort of a temporary fix until major gut remodel. Fridge was only thing worth keeping appliance wise and was a newish French door.

It could be worse but the white fridge sticks out as not belonging for sure.

• User
    6 years ago

Panel ready is how I'd go. But I'm not a fan of stainless anyway, they can look dirty. Especially cooktops/stoves. Too high maintenance for me.

deyoung1962 thanked User
  • Joan Head
    6 years ago

All of my appliances are white. If they are had to be replaced at the same time, I would replace with stainless but I can’t bear the thought of mismatched colors. I vote for all white or all stainless.

deyoung1962 thanked Joan Head
  • DrB477
    6 years ago

Panel ready (ideally integrated) would be nice but it's also a potentially very different price point than a typical stand alone fridge.

• chickadee70
    6 years ago

Is it too late to change your cabinet color choice? If you can, go with lighter cabinetry and all white appliances. I think a white refrigerator will look like an iceberg (pun intended) in your kitchen with the other finishes you mentioned.

deyoung1962 thanked chickadee70
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I have a white stove and all the rest of my appliances are stainless. But...my white stove is a vintage, 1948 O'Keefe and Merritt when ALL stoves were white, so it works.

A refrigerator is SO danged big. You don't mention if this is countertop depth of regular, but it's going to look VERY big in white. Think about large feet wearing white shoes - they look a LOT larger!

How badly stainless marks varies with the brand. My KA is now about 6-7 yrs old and it really is not at all bad, and I've always had grandsons here often. BTW - it was available with stainless on the sides for an additional fee and I paid it as prior to my kitchen remodel, the side showed. My DD has one with the black side and she has just covered it with photos of all her friend's children. Can't even see the black!

It's your choice. The Houzz police will not arrest you or remove your ability to post. I just think the white is going to look awfully large.

deyoung1962 thanked Anglophilia
  • rubynellcherry
    6 years ago

You could try to get a panel ready refrigerator and then put white cabinet panels on it.

deyoung1962 thanked rubynellcherry
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

What's the point of white panels on a white fridge? Cabinet match is "dark"

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

I'd find a white fridge with SS handles, if you want a white fridge. And have some counter appliance in the same scheme elsewhere on a counter.

I wanted black appliances through the kitchen but could not find an ADA induction range that was black (and affordable), so I settled on SS with lots of black on it, and on the opposite counter I have my black toaster oven with SS handles. It works for me. AND it looks like I intended it to do so.

PS: I hear you on the marks that are hard to remove on SS!!! My old coffee maker drove me nuts!

• Apolonia3
    6 years ago

Have you seen this? MIL had one similar to this and I never saw any fingerprints.

https://www.kenmore.com/products/kenmore-73025-26-1-cu-ft-french-door-refrigerator-8211-active-finish/

• strategery
    6 years ago

No, you cannot. They either have to match each other or have a cab faceplate.

• luv Mann
    6 years ago

@deyoung1962 I assume you will be the one who will live in your home 100% of the time. So get what you want. I can say I prefer stainless steel , but If I visit you, I might spend an hr. So it doesn't make sense if you listen to my preference. On the other hand , your husband prefers all appliances to match . So may have to find a middle ground.

• Holly Stockley
    6 years ago

If you do, the Appliance Police will leap out from behind your cupboard doors and arrest you.

I think it can work, depending on how your space is laid out. White is pretty classic. Myself, I don't care for stainless because I can't keep it clean.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Alright, here's the OP's question and final answer:

OP: "... Can I mix in a white fridge with all the other appliances stainless?..."

Final Answer: Kitchen Appliance Regulation 100, Para 1: "All appliances must match each other in every kitchen, in every house, everywhere. Exceptions: 1) When individual appliances have face coverings to match the style and color of adjacent cabinets; 2) When kitchens pre-date 1920; 3) When there is no kitchen; 4) When entire face of appliance is covered with children's paintings and photos; 5) In cases of color blindness by homeowner(s)."

Para 2: "In the event that the Inspector finds mismatched appliances, and which do not fall within the allowed exceptions, the homeowner(s) will be fined and responsible to the Inspector for a minimum of six (6) apricot pies, due between the 1st and 15th of every month for a six (6) month period, or until the offending appliances are replaced, whichever comes first."

There you have it: conclusive evidence. No more of "this is your house and you can cry if you want to". You're welcome!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Lol!!! And no kidding

• PRO
    Reach Design
    6 years ago

Virgil Carter Fine Art LOL... That pretty much sums it up.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Amazingly........ it only took thirty comments to get to .can you spell "NO"?

• bluesanne
    6 years ago

Sorry, Jan, after 30 comments, the answer is still YES if that is what she wants. It wouldn't be my choice, but I don't live there.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Yikes, another "it's-your-house-so-do-what-you-want" comment...so helpful to someone who posts in this forum!

• PRO
    Reach Design
    6 years ago

If you want to do what you want to do why ask for advice? Obviously people ask b/c they would like help deciding what to do.....

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

@Reach,

No, they (unfortunately ) many, many times ask for confirmation that what they want to do, or even have already planned to do, is a good idea. A white fridge slammed in between dark cabinetry is example of a not great idea.. But lots of things not ILLEGAL .....such as skydiving on a full stomach, for instance, are also not great ideas. But WTH..... nobody can stop you. : )

I still am thinking of my Pet Ritz pie crust. .......in six thousand pieces in my sink........

• User
    6 years ago

OMG...

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

: ) As I say quite often..... "I can only advise. I will make the same money whether you take the best advice for the situation, or not. Might want to consider that........or not"

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Just do the rest of the appliances in white too, with a white counter. That will work as an intentional design statement with dark cabinets.

Or, pick stainless and use Pledge in the brown and yellow can to clean it with. It makes it very easy to keep away fingerprints.

• deyoung1962
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone for all the input. After looking at lots of pics and reading all your comments I have decided to go all stainless. I want a French door fridge and one comment said a white fridge is huge and would really stick out in white. Then another comment was get Pledge in the green can and clean up is a breeze. So... I will go with a modern stainless look and keep a can of Pledge close by. Thanks again everybody.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

"...Can I mix a white fridge in with other stainless appliances?..."

Yes, you can.

No, you shouldn't! :-)

Sorry--couldn't resist responding just to the title of the thread. Good luck on your direction!

• bluesanne
    6 years ago

My response was intended to be tongue-in-cheek, but it came out as foot-in-mouth.

• HU-333974205
    10 months ago

I prefer all white appliances. I can't stand Stainless Steel, it feels hospitalish, and shows every single fingerprint. PLUS, EVERY house/apt you go in has it. ZERO uniqueness. Black shows EVERYTHING, just like a black car, same with the new black stainless. I looked at slate and decided no. There is something about it that makes me believe it will not age well and will become the gold/green/copper of days gone by. White is eternal. For me white is it and I hear it's coming back. It never left for me. I've replaced with white TWICE. Do what you want in your house.

• cpartist
    10 months ago

Why are you responding to a 5 year old thread just to tell us your opinion about white appliances.

And I disagree with you about it aging like gold/green/copper since it's already outlasted the amount of time that those colors were in vogue.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

As you stated...." do what you want in your own house"

That said? Don't whine if you can't replace with a match at some point.

Stainless will always be there, need not be a brand match, is an easy wipe. : )

I'd hate to be looking for a coppertone range, or a gold fridge lol......

• dan1888
    10 months ago

Integrated appliances get you away from stainless for the frig and dw.. You get to match your white cabinets or whatever you want now and in the future. Choose an induction cooktop and you're only left with a wall oven.