SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

Nuts about grasses

echolane
6 years ago

It's my favorite time of year and grasses are very much a part of it because of their colorful change to winter.

Here are three Panicums in the process of changing color while sporting their pretty flowers. The first is Panicum Heavy Metal, the second is a very young Panicum Northwind. I have a third, Panicum Hot Rod but it is a much shorter Panicum and young, so it's nearly impossible to see buried among other plants but If you look closely it has gone very red.

Pennisetum alopecuroides Hameln is the oldest grass in my garden. I've been dividing my original clone for close,to 40 years and I wouldn't dream of not having its graceful fountain shape and colorful fall and winter presence in my garden.

I tried our another Pennisetum cultivar this year, Desert Plains, and it has a lot more fall color for some reason. Disappointingly, it didn't flower for me this year. It's mates in the ground were atypically stingy with their flowers this year. Perhaps there wasn't enough winter chill for this grass which is a shame because I do like it's flowers. Or it doesn't like being pot bound and its mates were much underwatered this year too.

. I went crazy for Stipa ichu last year because of those spectacular flowers, but it has disappointed me this year because the plant and its flowers tend to flop too much. And it seeds about a bit much. But I think I'll always keep one around because it's so colorful.

This colorful grass, Stipa arundinacea, is evergreen, though it tends to be colorful all year.

I probably shouldnt include this next Grass, Sorghastrum nutans Thin Man, because it's so puny (those bamboo stakes are to remind me not to step on it!) , but it caught my fancy last year and I just had to have it. It's only source that I'm aware of is High Country Gardens. I ordered just one, but they were so tiny that they sent me two. Tiny was an apt description as they were only two or three strands of grass stems each!!! I've babied them all year and they are still tiny but I have the feeling I'm going to love them. Hopefully, they'll show me more next year.

That blue grass in the foreground is a young Little Bluestem, Schizachyrium Standing Ovation. It was also a tiny plant this spring and hopefully will put on a show for me as the season advances.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County
More Discussions