SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Oh, no you didn't!!! Oh yes.........I did.........

marilyn_c
6 years ago

I was wanting a companion for Amos, after losing Hobo and Moses. I didn't plan on buying one because over the years, I have been offered free donkeys many times but I didn't want another one. I knew one would show up sooner, rather than later. As it is, it costs $250 to geld a jack, and most people don't geld them due to the expense. I have been very badly bitten by a jack....not one of mine....but I wouldn't want to keep another jack. However, I expected my "free donkey" to probably be a jack and I would pay to have him gelded.

So, my friend, Heather, told me there were 3 jacks that were rescued from the flood, and no one claimed them and if they couldn't find homes, they would be put down. They were being held at an old auction barn about 20 miles from here. I told her I would take one, and pay to have it gelded. I didn't hear any more about it for a few days. But today she called me and asked if I wanted to go look at the donkeys and pick out one. We were in Alvin, so we met her there.

Ends up there were 4 donkeys. One one is a female. (jenny) Heather wanted that one though. It is a "donkey family"....a jack, jenny, and a young one...probably a year or so old. I wanted a young one because I wanted one that is playful and would keep Amos occupied. So I said I would take the young one. But there was also another jack, a reddish one. I didn't want to see any left behind, so I said I would take that one too.

Also, there is a mini horse, stallion, that they said was a flood rescue and swam quite a ways. There were three horses there. Two were going to a rescue. The rescue didn't want the mini stallion. There was also a 30 yr old horse there that was an owner surrender. The girl who owned him wanted him sold at auction but he didn't have a current Coggins, so they couldn't auction him and so he was more or less just dumped there. She said she "loved him so much". His name is Snoop. He is skinny and his knees are blown but he gets around okay. She loves him but she was willing to let him go to slaughter. (smh)

So, I said to Jody....let's take him. He can be a companion to Emory. We ended up hauling them all to Heather's. I told her I would come pick them up tomorrow because Jody had a doctor appointment today.

Heather called me just now and asked if I would take the jenny. So, I am taking the jenny and her yearling colt. She is going to do a fund raiser on her page to get the others gelded....then she can find homes for them. She has lots of friends who are donkey and mule people, and I know she can raise the funds to have them all gelded. I will pay for mine....we will get the vet out there to do them all at once. She is also going to go back and get the mini stallion and have him gelded too, and find a home for him.

The jenny is in foal....so not long before a little one will be here.

That was a long post to say.....I have another old horse. This is Snoop.

If no one takes the red donkey....I will take him too. But, I think he can find a home. He is at least halter broke and they others aren't.

Comments (40)

• dchall_san_antonio
    6 years ago

My daughter used to ride at a stable in San Antonio. They had 30 horses and one mule. The owner's uncle always picked the mule to ride for the stock show trail rides, because the horses exhausted him. He said the mule had a much smoother ride.

marilyn_c thanked dchall_san_antonio
  • marilyn_c
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mules tend to be very smooth gaited.

• Related Discussions

Oh No she didn't

Q

Comments (16)
    A friend of mine does all kinds of hand-crafts: quilting, cross-stitch, embroidery, knitting, & more. She kept things in a big green lawn & leaf bag to keep them clean. Her husband threw the whole lot out. It represented years of work. My neighbor worked at the dump, so we even went there and looked-to no avail. It sure is sad when this sort of things happens. Did you lose anything hard to find? Maybe someone here has it. Sorry about your seeds, Robin
    ...See More

Uh-oh! I didn't research enough before pruning!

Q

Comments (1)
    Yes, looks like you did jump the gun. Way to early to be doin any pruning. Just let your side branches develop (suckers) a new growth between the main stem and side branch and you will have no problem. Charles Wilber, author of "World Record Tomatoes" does something similar but allows 12 suckers to develop per plant.
    ...See More

Fireclay samples, oh no she didn't?!!

Q

Comments (12)
    Wags4fun I feel like I have an illness. Samples are scattered everywhere amid all of the other construction materials currently residing in our house. You have got some bold colors, love it! If we didn't already have so many colors in play I would pick one of the more vibrant colors for a backsplash. Alas. And we've narrowed it to the blue spruce, oyster and silver haze oldbat, I loveeeeeee your backsplash. I have been experimenting with all the kitchen pieces so to speak and I can take my best guess but I think I'm just going to have to see how the space unfolds in real life before we choose the final. eplumeng-- thanks for the suggestion. I did look at those guys and forgot about them. I sent an inquiry so it would be awesome if I found a color I liked for half the price and avoid giving my husband further sticker shock. mama Rachel-- Ann sacks is lovely, I didn't find any colors that resonated but I think I'm going to have to take another look when I have time and see if any of her more reasonable lines might have something Anyone have any more alternative tile manufacturer suggestions?
    ...See More

Akurum Conundrum (oh yes I did!)

Q

Comments (9)
    If the doors are standard sizes, they should be able to be attached to standard base and wall cabinet boxes that you can pick up used. Standard base cabinets are 34 1/2" high.
    ...See More
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    6 years ago

I am smiling for you! And for them.

Sue

• marilyn_c
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here are the donkeys. The one wearing the halter is the reddish one. The pregnant jenny is the one in front of him. The baby (he is at least a year old) is the one behind him and the daddy of the baby and the baby to be, is in the foreground.

• gmatx zone 6
    6 years ago

Bless you Marilyn for your love of animals.

marilyn_c thanked gmatx zone 6
  • Rusty
    6 years ago

Whew! ! ! I just knew, at the start of your post, that you were going to end up taking all of them! ! ! :^) If I read right, you are getting the jenny and her colt, (and a future foal) and Snoop, right? I'm glad both Amos and Emory are getting companions.

Looking forward to pictures of your new 'family'.

Rusty

marilyn_c thanked Rusty
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

You are one amazing person- so much goodness and love to share.

marilyn_c thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • marilyn_c
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, the pregnant jenny and her last colt and Snoop. I am pretty sure Heather can find homes for the rest of them. She has almost 1200 FB friends. They are all at Heather's. I will go get mine tomorrow.

• lucillle
    6 years ago

What about the Coggins?

• Hareball
    6 years ago

If I promise not to sneak off with one can I come visit? haha Thank you for saving them. :) Thanks to you I seriously want a donkey lol

Just seeing how my dachshund would react alone is enough to make me want to get one lol

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Bless you. Marilyn, for your big caring heart! They are so pretty! Good luck with all your plans. I knew when I started reading you were going to end up with more than one!

• aok27502
    6 years ago

Please tell us that, when you get everyone home and settled, you'll get them all together for a big group picture. Including Val and Amos and all the others!

• marilyn_c
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The coggins is for infectious anemia. The vet will be here in a day or two to check Val again, and they will get one then.

• marilyn_c
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I will take some pictures. I hope to bring my horses home tomorrow. I will have to keep the new donkeys away from the others for a little while because my mares are very mean to new comers. I don't want them chased off the bank into the bayou.

• ingeorgia
    6 years ago

Bless you for taking care of all these creatures. We can only rescue cats and wish we could do more. You are amazing.

marilyn_c thanked ingeorgia
  • marilyn_c
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Heather just updated that the mini stallion has found a home!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Marilyn, you are nuts...but the very best kind of nuts and I love you for it!

marilyn_c thanked Anglophilia
  • Rusty
    6 years ago

Apparently you posted the donkeys' picture while I was typing awhile ago. They look like they've been pretty well cared for, at least. And it's good to know the mini stallion has found a home, too!

Rusty

marilyn_c thanked Rusty
  • PattiG(rose)
    6 years ago

Marilyn, you have a tender heart. Bless you, is all I can say.

marilyn_c thanked PattiG(rose)
  • lindaohnowga
    6 years ago

Oh Marilyn, I just love you. Your family is growing by leaps and bounds and I am so happy for you and for all of those animals. I'm losing track of how many animals you have (or will soon have) and their names. Eventually you will need to make a list so we can all keep up with your family.

marilyn_c thanked lindaohnowga
  • anniesjacuzzi
    6 years ago

Marilyn....your post has me in happy tears... You are simply amazing....

marilyn_c thanked anniesjacuzzi
  • nicole___
    6 years ago

Wow! That's a lot of new hoofs around the place Marilyn! Your already busy....but....please post pics of the baby when it's born.

marilyn_c thanked nicole___
  • sleeperblues
    6 years ago

So glad the mini guy found a home. You are an amazing woman, and I respect you so much! And Jody sounds like a wonderful man.

marilyn_c thanked sleeperblues
  • User
    6 years ago

Marilyn, thank you so much for rescuing these wonderful creatures!

I have a question about donkeys though....I just read a ton about donkeys and still am not sure why there are so many for rescue in the US? Are these all pets or are they for working as well? I understand in developing countries they are very important for working but am not sure of their role in the US.

I just added donkeys to my future rescue farm retirement dream. They are super cute!

marilyn_c thanked User
  • moonie_57 (8 NC)
    6 years ago

My heart just turned to mush! ❤

marilyn_c thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
  • wanda_va
    6 years ago

The world is truly a better place with our Marilyn in it!!

marilyn_c thanked wanda_va
  • marilyn_c
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Cleo, I am sure part of the reason there are so many donkeys in the US, is because most people don't geld their jacks. They don't want to pay upwards of $200+ for gelding an animal worth about $35. Out here almost every pasture has a donkey in it. Usually as guard animals for cows or goats. It is questionable if that is a good idea or not. Also, I think everyone has a donkey because they are so available. Sort of like everyone has a dog.

• User
    6 years ago

Thanks-that makes sense! I am from NJ and have honestly never seen a donkey in a pasture. We have cows and horses in certain counties but that’s it. I didn’t know donkeys were that common anymore. They are awful cute.

• Mrs. S
    6 years ago

Can I squeal with delight from behind a computer screen????? OMG. I can hardly stand it. You are awesome, what a menagerie--I knew you'd get a donkey!!! I love how the sun is shining through to this sweet little corral, and those beautiful creatures, who have been through he**, and have made it.... to Marilyn's little paradise. Congrats to all of you!

• marilyn_c
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mra. S, that is my friend, Heather's, place. I didn't have time to bring them home today because Jody had a doctor's appointment. I will get them tomorrow.

The reason I took the old horses, I don't expect them to live for a long, long time. They may surprise me, and that is okay.

When my daughter was little, about 5, I got an old horse that I named Old Timer. He showed up at my mother's house one day...legs cut up and skin and bones. I knew all the horses in the area, and didn't recognize him. So I put a found notice on the bulletin board at the feed store. I doctored his cuts, wormed him and started feeding him. In a couple of weeks, he had gained enough weight that he looked presentable.

His owner finally saw the notice and came to get him. Turns out the old horse had been a champion roping horse in his day, but he was old now, and his owner died, so the heirs sent him to auction. The guy.....who I knew because he lived down the road from me....bought him, thinking he might make a good roping horse for a kid to learn on. I talked him into selling him to me. I would have been afraid to have a kid gallop that horse. Anyway, I had grown fond of him and I didn't want him to work hard any more. He had paid $135 for him, and I gave him $100 and a sack of oysters.

He was the best old horse. So honest. A baby could have ridden him. I rode him a few times because Erin could sit in front of me in the saddle. I took him to school and gave the children rides on Western Day.

I guess I had him a year...maybe two. One evening he came in the barn to be fed. After he ate, I turned him out and the last time I saw him alive, he was walking back to the pasture. I came out an hour later, and saw him dead. I think he just had a heart attack. He showed no sign of being sick or in pain or anything. So these two old horses may not live a lot longer. I am going to do everything I can to take care of them and hopefully get them to gain some weight. I worry that Emory may be too far gone. I understand he was been skinny for years.

Val is old too but he looks good. Gypsy is close to 20 herself. So I may not have them a long time but that's okay.

• lily316
    6 years ago

A bunch of lucky animals now have a good home with Marilyn.Such good news.

• hounds_x_two
    6 years ago

What a wonderful animal story! Such a nice way to start my day. So happy for you and your very lucky animals.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

We need to name your place "Marilyn's Happy Retirement Home for Animals".

• marilyn_c
    Original Author
    6 years ago

A better name might be Jody Can Never Retire Ranch. ;)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

Jody is one in a million also isn't he? It is so nice that he supports you in what you love to do.

marilyn_c thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • marilyn_c
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jody has always been very supportive of everything I do, and he is a very giving person. He has no interest in horses...has been on a horse twice in the 52 years we've been married. The Christmas before we got married in January, he gave me a half Arabian gelding. Sort of better than an engagement ring....altho he gave me one of those also.

I brought Snoop and the donkeys home. The two donkeys I wanted....not all four of them. I got the mama donkey and her last colt. One of the other jacks bit a hunk out of his neck. Jacks can be so mean. I need to figure out some way to doctor it, because he isn't halter broken. I will post some pictures of them later.

• Mrs. S
    6 years ago

Marilyn, have you ever tried clicker training? It could be a great way to halter train your new project, and get him to accept the doctoring. Are donkeys very food-motivated?

marilyn_c thanked Mrs. S
  • marilyn_c
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, I have clicker trained horses, dogs and donkeys. When I went to school to be a vet tech, we had to teach a conditioned response to an animal, and I chose a cat, I have always enjoyed training animals. I house sat for five months for a friend....every night I stayed there...came home during the day....and I clicker trained her dog. It was a catahoula and I taught him four tricks in about as many days. I was really impressed with him because we have always had catahoulas....have one now too....and they can be very stubborn dogs. I taught him to touch the target, sit, lie down, and roll over.

When I first got my three donkeys, I clicker trained them to back up, to keep them from crowding me when I went in their pasture to feed them. Donkeys are very food oriented and they are extremely easy to train. You can't make a donkey do anything....well, you can try, but they will resist.

I offered Mama donkey and her son some peppermint treats. She took them but spit them out. Son...I think I am going to name him Willie....and if the new baby is a male, I will name him Waylon...wouldn't come close enough to take one from my hand. I should have put it in his feed bucket.

Snoop loved them. He is extremely food oriented and would probably be easy to train. Poor Emory. I gave him a couple but they fell out of his mouth because he couldn't bite them. I don't believe he is as old as Snoop but his teeth are a whole lot worse. I will take some pics of them tomorrow. My phone needed charging and my digital camera went under water during the flood.

• marilyn_c
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You are right, Justlinda. Somehow they do know. Animals appreciate kindness just as much as people. I like to spend time just watching them and you can tell a lot by the individual animal by the way it looks at you. I wanted Snoop for Emory because he spent years by himself....living in woods mostly and no other horses nearby. It was very touching....his reaction to Snoop. He was like a shy kid that hangs back, but you could tell he wanted to get close to him. Meanwhile, Snoop, who probably spent his whole life around other horses, was less than impressed and was more interested in eating and backing his ears if Emory got close. Eventually though, they were standing side by side, looking over the fence at me. It would have made a good picture but my phone was dead. I was happy to see Snoop let Emory stand next to him. I think they will work it out and be friends. Snoop didn't try to hurt him....just let him know not to get very near "his" hay...which was really Emory's hay, but I gave him some more, a little distance away. I hope Emory will do better with company. I'm not worried about Snoop but I am worried about Emory.