SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nushelu

Hot chiles for shorter seasons

Mokinu
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

What are your favorite chile peppers (the hotter the better) for shorter growing seasons, especially where the soil is such as to make them slow-growing?

My favorites so far include these:

* Randy Sine's Evil Jalapeno (probably my earliest pepper; I think it's best and hottest green; it's sweeter red, but has more flavor green, I think; picking the peppers seems to encourage more fruit)

* Aji Omnicolor (not really early, but early for the C. baccatum species; early enough to get a good amount of fruit, and at least a few red ones; the red and orange ones have fruity taste; mine weren't that hot last year, and they had a very pleasant heat, but this year the red ones were very, very hot, and the heat wasn't as pleasant uncooked; they'll ripen after being picked)

* Ring of Fire (prolific; capable of being quite hot; very nice red color; they say it's 50k SHU, but some of mine tasted like 400k SHU).

* Aji Dulce 1 (not that early, but you can get fruit, and it tastes really good when green; I haven't tried the red ones, but I had a few that ripened after I picked them and brought them indoors; it's a seasoning pepper; so, it's not very hot at all)

* Grandpa's Home (tastes better cooked, IMO; similar flavor to Yatzy)

* Chinese 5 Color

* Orange Carbonero (I started mine really super early, but it was very prolific and great for cooking; I'm not sure if it does as well if not started months early)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath