SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Real life "Grey Gardens"

schoolhouse_gw
6 years ago

Remember the documentary "Grey Gardens", the owners being Big Edie and Little Edie, relatives of Jackie Onassis? Edie fed the raccoons who came right into an upstairs room via a hole in the side of the house.

Well the chimney guy was here yesterday to do some tuckpointing on the old chimney (not in use anymore) and while up there noticed big holes in the flashing at the roof around the chimney. Plus lots of raccoon crap! Some on the garage roof and some around the chimney at the top. He couldn't say for sure the coon was actually getting into the house through the holes, but the evidence was mounting.

So today he came back to patch the holes with roofing cement and also nailed back some loose siding. And to see if there really was an unfortunate animal in there, he got up into the crawlspace above the kitchen and livingroom, then further up into the roof area where the trusses are. No sign of animal tracks or dung anywhere in both areas, no holes that could be entrances. And - no rain damage, we were surprised.

Now we think it's possible the raccoon is living down inside the chimney itself. The vent hole is blocked off in the cellar where the vent pipe from the furnace entered. The new furnace does not use the chimney, the vent pipe is re-routed elsewhere. He said he can bring a live trap whenever I want it. I actually hope he/she is in the chimney and not trapped somewhere under the roof! They most always only come out at dusk or at night, I should set up a video camera somehow.

Comment