SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fourpawsonetail

3/4 acre that is a big mess (zone 7b)

fourpawsonetail
6 years ago

Hello,

We bought a house with a large lot that was basically neglected for 17 years. Great neighborhood, great price (we scored a great find) but a big mess.

The lawn is going to be the biggest challenge because of the sheer size and complexity of the problem. That being said, we really don't have grass, we have every kind of weed you could imagine covering the soil (sand, it's a beach community).

To be fair, there are many beautiful homes here who have the same issue and they choose to live with it. There are also many homes who have a wonderful lawn with beautiful grass. Everyone who has a something growing takes care that it looks tidy no matter what it is. I think that the size of the lots (most are 1/2 to 3/4 acre) are just to much for some to maintain a healthy lawn but who knows.

I would like to tackle the mess in the spring myself but the sheer scope of what needs to be done is daunting. I am an avid gardener and have done tons of plantings already. Grass is not something I know much about (previous experiences had established lawns easily cared for).

Hiring a company to do the job might be the most practical option. With that I just don't see how anything can be accomplished in the grass department without he use of tons of chemicals which I prefer to stay away from (perhaps I'm wrong).

I can post a photo but I really don't think it would do much good. In the perfect world (hate that term) the whole thing would be stripped away etc. and start anew. I don't see that happening any time soon.

Any thoughts from the true experts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Comments (6)