SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayhomedesign

Lead Paint XRF Testing

Jay
6 years ago

So I had someone come to do XRF testing on our 1950s ranch. The test was mainly -0.2 (yes, negative) to 0.2 mg/cm2 for almost all areas. Does this imply absolutely no lead content? I suppose the guns aren't 100% accurate so maybe they have a margin of error? The gun didn't seem new / top of the line so not sure if should question the results at all.

There was a door jamb with old paint that based on my lead test swabs was lead (I used multiple tests and often used it as "check" when another wall tested negative for lead). It tested 0.7 and 0.5 mg/cm2. He mentioned that this is still negative for lead legally. But shouldn't I still avoid sanding or disturbing it since there is lead?

There was also a wall that tested the following: 0.7 and 0.4 and then 0.0 and 0.2.

Honestly, the variety range here made me question the accuracy of everything! And he wasn't really more helpful other than to say testing multiple times can be confusing and not to worry since it's all under 1.0.

But some states (not mine) say 0.7 or even 0.5 are the threshold and it all represents SOME lead content. So how would one proceed with taking down wallpaper and sanding the wall down to prep? Especially if we have young kids.

The wall directly beneath the wallpaper does not have lead according to the lead swab tests I've used so I suppose if I'm careful I can sand that layer only? But about drilling into the wall and that dust created?

Any and all help figuring out these results is appreciated.

By the way, we do have an attic staircase that tested (I think) 9.2 that the lead swab also tested positive. He said results like that are where we need to be concerned. But I've read even very small lead amounts can be hazardous to pregnant women and small children so given our current situation, I do want to proceed with caution elsewhere even if it's not "technically" lead-based according to some federal threshold of 1.0.

Comments (5)