SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forevernow

How do you repair walls with lead paint to cover without sanding?

forevernow
5 years ago

We live in an old home, early 20th century at least. We decided to strip the wallpaper off the plaster in my son's room. He's five. It was somewhat spur of the moment because DH decided to just start peeling some off and it came off really well so he went whole hog. We'd planned to do this at some point though I would have liked a little more time to plan. We knew there may be lead paint but honestly I wasn't concerned because removing wallpaper doesn't create much dust as we used a steamer. However, the walls need a lot of repair which means patching and sanding. I did a test with one of those lead kits from the big box store and it says lead (though the liquid seems to come out red so it's suspect to me but I'd rather believe it than take our chances). Not sure what to do now. I'd just as soon use some of that lead encapsulation paint and not worry about the unevenness but DH want's to fix it.

Wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I've been doing research. I saw the Nu-wal mesh but that suggests sanding uneven spots first so that's the same situation. I'm trying to avoid sanding. It doesn't help that this is a five year olds room and it has carpeting, Maybe we should just put up more wallpaper but the paintable kind?

I'm getting very tired of my house, its one thing after another.

Comments (29)