SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gordon_lewis52

new ficus alii,. losing leaves

Gordon Lewis
6 years ago

I bought a large ficus alii about a month ago. It was in Florida and I had it shipped (through a local greenhouse) to Virginia.

It is about 12 feet tall, potted in a 19 inch pot. I have left it in the pot from the greenhouse.

It is currently losing leaves at a fast rate, and I want to make sure I am doing anything I can to save it. I spoke with my local salesman at the greenhouse and did not get a great answer. I was told that I should only water it about once a month. The threads here suggest a much more frequent need for watering.

I have been watering every 4-6 days. The top of the soil feels very dry (as deep as I can get my finger). I placed a chopstick in the soil and this feels slightly moist when I have been watering. I say slightly, because I am not sure if it is moist. It is very slightly cool to the touch.

When I water I fill with tepid water with a couple of pours until water comes out of the bottom.

The tree gets a lot of indirect light and a bit of direct light as the sun gets lower during the day. There is a overhang outside the window behind it.

I am hoping this is just leaf loss from the move, but??? Am I doing anything wrong?

thanks

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting