SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
evlon_gw

Help, Dying Ficus Alii

evlon
15 years ago

Hi,

So my Ficus Alii is dying. I purchased an indoor 6' Ficus (Alii) tree two months ago and transferred it into a larger container. I simply torn the original plastic container that the tree was implanted in and placed it in the new container and filled it up with some top soil. I didn't shake the soil that the tree's roots had grown into and simply dump the whole thing into the container. Initially, in early December 2008, the tree was thriving or at least wasn't showing any deterioration trend but since the new years (roughly a month ago), it's shedding a large number of leaves on a daily basis -- around 40 every 3 days when I collect them.

I water the plant around once every 4 days and make sure the soil is not wet or moist when I do it. I also water spray the leaves once every other day, very lightly but occasionally in longer intervals, to sort of emulate humidity condition. When I touch the remaining the leaves, they seem to be loose at the base and that's why I'm seeing a big portion of dropped leaves being "green" and not all withered out.

I have the plant placed right next to a window and my apartment is located right next to an area with lots of tall oaks which moderately (read: portionally) block a "direct" sun exposure. Nonetheless, the tree to some extent gets an indirect light from the outside. Unfortunately for the last 2 months, 85% of the days have been cloudy or partly cloudy so I don't know whether the tree is getting enough light as it should. I live in the south (GA) so the winters are not as cold as states in the north but we have had a quite number of freezing days and nights so I haven't been able to open up the windows and balcony door to have an air flow and that's one thing that the tree is being neglected from.

As I mentioned, the air circulation hasn't been adequate to my opinion and I don't think the humidity is high or even close to what it's supposed to be. I purchased the tree from a nursery where they had been keeping it indoor but obviously placed in a larger room and large doors facilitating the air flow. But the strange thing is, if the tree started behave erratically right after it was relocated to a new place, shouldn't it start giving sour attitude right off the bat? Why this is happening a month after all of sudden?

The tree is not in a direct path of the heater/AC vent (way away from it), however, the windows are not well insulated so they let through some drift (cold I presume since it's winter) but I doubt this is causing or facilitating the drop of the leaves. I read somewhere on one of the forum entries that when a Ficus sheds "green leaves," it is an indication that the tree is not receiving enough light and being watered excessively. I don't know about the latter but I think the lighting hasn't been adequate even though I have the window blinds open up all the way, all day long -- this is supposed to be a sun-room for crying out loud.

I haven't used any fertilizer or any product to remedy when I don't even know what it's wrong with my tree. I have never had a pet or anything in my life that I was responsible for so this being my first "live" biological organism and me failing this miserably in taking care of is, least to say, disappointing. Especially when I sit 5 ft from the tree and watch the leaves dropped throughout the day -- very disheartening ("my baby is dying," I cry everyday). Frankly if I can't keep one indoor tree alive, who is to say I should get married and raise a kid. The kid would be dead in a matter of weeks.

Below you can view a series of photos I took from the tree and its surrounding to give you a better idea about what I am talking about. Please notice that the lighting is not as intensive as the photos portray (bad light exposure makes it appear that the room is as bright as a sunny day on a beach but in reality is darker than it seems).

Ficus Alii photos

Notice for example in this photos the right set of branches show the leaves drooping and appear to be saggy, however, the leaf lost is occurring uniformly across the tree. So I doubt the portion of the tree (the left side) that is closer to the window is holding off better than the right side (of this particular photo) even though the left side appears not "erect."

I really don't want to loose this tree and honestly I am at lost to where I can go from here. So please give me some pointers to diagnose my problem.

Sincerely,

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville