SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonzabanango

What's wrong? Ficus alii dropping leaves

bonzabanango
14 years ago

Hi,

Me and my boyfriend rescued a tree from the street about a month ago. We IDd it after a trip to the garden centre as Ficus binnendijkii (alii).

Background:

We thought it just needed light, water and care, but it continued to drop almost all its remaining leaves. So we repotted it. It was seriously water-logged and the liquid was putrid - the pot had no drainage holes. However, we didn't clean the root mass. Yep, we know it was a mistake, but don't really want to disturb it again so soon.

It's now next to a window that gets direct light for only a few hours a day. After about a week of hibernation it began to put out new growth. Then we realised it had red spider mite. And that the rest of our houseplants now had red spider mite. (we were beginning to work out why someone might have put it in the street). We're reasonably confident we're keeping the mites at bay with regular spraying.

Current problem:

Even though it is growing shoots from almost every possible node, one area (also shooting) has begun to drop leaves. The dropped leaves have dark mauve/brown patches, which developed only recently. The leaves drop to the touch. The section is facing away from the window.

I will post a photo if anyone can explain how.

Are these just old leaves?

Thanks, Anna

Comments (2)