SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novadestin

New gardener, several questions, advice needed

Jennifer K
6 years ago

Hello everyone! Recently, I moved into my childhood home (near Detroit) where my parents have set up a large vegetable garden (about 30 by 70 ft). My boyfriend and I are attempting to winterize it and plan for next year, but we're still pretty new to things (we do have a hydroponics system though, which my boyfriend set up, so not completely new) and we're worried there isn't enough time to get things done properly as we're still trying to figure out everything we need to do.

I would really appreciate if anyone could share some advice and answer a couple questions for us. Thank you in advance for any comments and for reading all of this :)

1. What's the best way to winterize a large garden? I've read: weed, till, compost; but I'm curious if there's anything more too it. We're just finishing up the weeding/cleaning part now (parents were too busy this year to take care of it), which means we're running low on time before it frosts. Because of that, my boyfriend suggested just buying a silage tarp to cover the soil and getting back to it in the spring asap. (FYI boyfriend dislikes wood chips, so they're a no go.)

2. What's the best way to add micro nutrients and such into the soil? The garden hasn't really been "used" in awhile, so we're pulling up all the old wood chips, landscape fabric, and so on in order to "start fresh" and to be able to redesign. The soil is good (we believe slightly acidic but we haven't tested it yet), as it was well composted when it was in use, but we're more used to a hydroponics system than dirt (as in: test water, measure nutrient from bottle, dump in reservoir lol). My boyfriend said he read that leaves/pine needles (which we have a lot of) work well, but he's not sure if there's a better method.

3. What's the best option for covering/protecting the soil in general? My parents used landscape fabric/wood chips (walking areas) and newspaper/hay (grow areas), but neither option is really that great to us for different reasons. We're looking for other options.

Thanks again!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting