SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gabbygardner

New Shade Garden...need advice

gabbygardner
12 years ago

As you can see from these pics, I am just starting to get this garden going. I have sprayed the area twice with Roundup, and it is just starting to turn.

I plan to add dirt between and around the trees, as it is very low and many of the tree's large roots are showing. I actually think they look cool, but I don't think my plants will.

Front:

Back

My questions:

1. I want to fill my area with mostly hosta, some ferns and a few other shade plants; do I need to lay down anything to prevent weeds, or is it better to leave it and weed the area myself.

2. How much dirt would you add? My neighbor says to hill it up high between the trees, but I am hesitent to do that, I just don't know how that would look.

3. There is quite a bit of moss growing under the trees, this has surprised me. It is not an overly wet area, especially in winter. We had a very mild winter, maybe that helped it get a foothold. It is pretty, but I am not sure if it would hurt my new bed??? Thoughts??

Thanks for any help you can give me... i hope by the end of summer to have it complete and ready for a good start next Spring;)

Gabby

Here is a link in case pics don't work:

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (14)

Sponsored