SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lord_dylan

New veggie garden, need advice on dirt.

lord_dylan
10 years ago

I recently built a 4x8x2 vegetable garden in my backyard, on top of the existing grass lawn. I dug down a couple inches to bury the 2x12's and made sure it was level and now I'm ready to fill it with some dirt/soil and get planting. I also started a worm farm about a month ago and should have some decent worm compost in the next few weeks to help condition the dirt I get. So here's my question, what do I need to do to the dirt before I start planting?
I've seen several Craigslist posts that are giving away free dirt. Usually someone digging a pool or a pond or something, and they've got several cubic yards of dirt (not only free, but delivered for free). Being Southern California (OC) the dirt is most likely full of clay and pretty dry and void of nutrients. I don't want to spend a whole lot of $$ on dirt as my wife is already complaining about the cost for the box.

So, what is the best bang for my buck when preparing my veggie garden? I am super excited and hope to get planting within the next 4 to 6 weeks.

Thanks in advance.
-Dylan

Comments (17)