SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blackwillow87

Aloysia gratissima and blue mistflower question?

blackwillow87
6 years ago

Hi everyone, a nice local gardener gave me a couple of beebrush seedlings and a blue mistflower plant. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on growing these two plants? Thanks

Comments (6)

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Mara, the blue mistflower is Conoclinium coelestinum. I'll have to rethink where I can put the mistflower since it takes up real estate. I got two Gregg's mistflower plants last year and they took over a large section of my flower bed. Would the blue mistflower do well in shade? I have a spot under some large hackberries that get morning and early afternoon sun and then shade the rest of the day, would that be an ok spot for the bee bush? I'll need to get some more decomposed granite as well a some more pine bark.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Conoclinium coelstinium entry fro LBJ WFC, Sun to part shade but moist. Some people will plant it in a sunken baby pool to keep water around the roots and to contain it. It will bloom better with some sun.

blackwillow87 thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • blackwillow87
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's a great idea to use a baby pool. I may try that or something similar because a baby pool might be too large for my small garden area. I'll look for something similar but on a smaller scale. Thanks for that advice Mara. I wonder if I could plant it underneath my bananas?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago

I don't think they will out compete a banana.

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok that's one possible spot. It gets plenty of sun, I just need to add a lot of compost to the area.