SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pk3207

Starting a new build. Need a lot of help.

pk3207
6 years ago

I am looking for continuous help on rebuilding my home. I am building a 2930sqft contemporary 2 story house with attached garage. My building permit was approved last week, the excavation should start tomorrow. I already had to decide on my basement walls, concrete or precast, I chose the latter. They asked what window setting; traditional, or 2 different offsets. I dont know why this is an option. I chose traditional. I've asked my friends parents every question so far but I dont want to annoy them, so Im hoping this is a better option. A few other questions I have are....

1. Do I spend the extra money on custom cabinets or use ikea?

2. Two tone cabinets, black with a different color island, or all black?

3. I want central vac, any suggestions on brand?

4. I love black... If I could have an all black interior, I would. Unfortunately, it might be a bit overwhelming. I was thinking of painting the house greys. Do you think it would be "too much" to have black cabinets, grey walls and potentially black and grey furniture? I know its all preference but I do want honest opinions.

5. Countertops: Quartz or granite? neutral design or a unique one?

6. Infloor heating in the basement, yay or nay? hot water or electric? Is it worth the extra cost?

7. The light fixtures, I could get inexpensive ones from Rona, or upgrade them. When you are looking to buy a new house, is this something you consider/notice? (Not looking to sell after rebuild but in the future)

8. Skylights. Do they tend to leak?

9. Can/ Should I hire my own cleaner to cut costs? Is there special cleaning chemicals? Do you need to be a trained professional to clean a rebuild? I have plenty of friends who could use that money and id rather pay them to do it.

So many more questions... but those are all I can think of for now.

Thank you so much for any feedback.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES