SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sraymer33

Landscaping and care of a 5.5 acre pine wood lot?

sraymer33
6 years ago

My husband adores pine woods, and we are considering purchasing a 5.5 acre, mountain top, wooded lot (almost entirely pine) that is level to slightly sloping in some places. It is located in Southeastern Tennessee (zone 7b). We plan to build a 2000 sq ft home about 40ft in from the road, leaving several acres of woods as our backyard. I've attached some photos. My question is how does one keep such a lot looking pleasing?

The underbrush has been mulched up and is currently coating the entire forest floor several inches thick (the developer did this, not us). So if there was a natural bed of pine needles at one point, that is buried. Should we remove all this pine wood mulch? I imagine grass is a no go, so are there other ground covers that can be used? How do you keep the weeds at bay? I don't mind leaving much of it natural, but we don't want weeds and underbrush taking over in open spots (which is already happening as you can see in the photos).

If we remove some trees to place our house, and clear a little opening for a front yard, and a bit of back yard more open to the sky, will this impact drainage? I've read some articles that state that removing any pines from a natural canopy can open you up to all sorts of drainage issues. Also is any sort of grass a possibility, or is it better to leave it natural, and/or choose other kinds of ground coverage?

I'm also wondering if it is advisable to remove the dead branches from the lower trunks of many of these pines. I think it would improve the look of the lot, but I also don't want to harm the trees.

I guess I'm just concerned about the maintenance involved for what is essentially a 5 acre pine forest of moderate coverage, and if it is a foolhardy endeavour to even be considering purchasing such a lot. My husband thinks it will sort of maintain itself, but I would love some more input.

Comments (10)