SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Removing leaves in about 2 acres of heavy woods

My plan (dream?) is to clear out close to 100 saplings this Fall / Winter (after hummingbirds are gone) in my wooded area to the West of my house, then use the land to plant fruit and nut trees and bushes.

Over the last 15 years, though, I've mostly blown leaves from my yard in to the woods that I now plan to develop! So I have leaves that are about 2' deep, with fallen sticks and limbs, rocks, hidden tree stumps, and tons and tons of greenbrier (yeesh!), poison ivy (double yeesh!!), and muscadine vine (not bad) coming out of it.

(I don't mind the muscadine vine and I'll probably try to salvage some of it)

These leaves will also be a sanctuary for snakes, which is usually fine, but not so much when they're trying to hibernate and I'm trying to wade through! So I really need the leaves gone so the snakes will have time to find a new home for the Winter.

I have a leaf vac, but the bag fills up in about 15 seconds so it's highly inefficient here. I kinda thought about just removing the bag, walking backwards into the woods, and blowing the chopped up leaves behind me... at least it would cut down the density.

There's not a leaf removal service in my area (rural western NC), and if I bag them then I'll need to haul them (probably 10 at a time) to the landfill and pay per bag.

Any other suggestions on how to remove all of these leaves before I need to really get in and start cutting?

Comments (16)