SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

" Work all night on a drink o' rum ! "

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

A Florida Farmers' sight for sore eyes,...two Ice Cream flag leafs emerging within 18 days of each other !!

Doesn't take much to psych out this guy ! LOL Especially gratifying knowing I only planted my 1st banana pup 5 or so years ago ! Yeah, a " City Slicker " born & raised in the concrete jungles of Manhattan,.. was saying " youse guys " till I was 18,..hadn't a clue till I bought my first shovel and rake after moving to Florida's SW coast,...the area Buddist's call Nirvana ! LOL

My goal here now is to strive to average 4 - 6 stalks developing at a time out of the 25 or so plants in my raised bed " banana plantation ",...about half Ice Cream bananas and half Apple bananas !

Have learned that patience is the name of the game with these guys.

Chiquita Banana,....WATCH OUT !!!

First Ice Cream stalk, almost 5 weeks old

Second I.C. stalk, just emerging from it's flag leaf,..only 4 days old !

Comments (5)

• tinael01
    6 years ago

I'm excited for you! Good luck! every year I lose my bananas to the cold.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked tinael01
  • jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi tinael01, glad to hear there's another banana farmer out there trying hard to grow these delicious ( and healthy ) fruits ! Also sorry that you are having so much trouble. I think you are in an area that is north of Tampa,...right ? Thought up there was 9a country,...just goes to show you I still have a lot to learn ! Hope the future is kinder to you.

In the 10 yrs I have been puttering around here in my 10a zone ( on the Gulf Coast, just south of Venice ) I could count the nighttime temps under 49 degrees on one hand,..and even then they're fairly brief.

Will include here a few pics of my two newest stalks that I had difficulty posting before !Nothing gets me quite as excited ( well almost nothing ) as detecting the 1st glimpse of a new flag leaf.

These will take months to ripen, but would be glad to send up a few hands when that happens ! Nothing like the store bought bananas,...NOTHING !!! LOL

First Ice Cream stalk, has only 7 hands
    Close up of 2nd stalk ! MMMMMM....

Second IC stalk, pic taken 3 weeks ago, already 4x the size of 1st stalk and has 10 hands !

• whgille
    6 years ago

Jofus, I hope that your banana plantation is doing great! My banana bunch was bent when Irma hit us, so we took a chance and cut the bunch. I had no hope because it was not ready yet but to my surprise it ripening nicely and had the chance to make banana breads and muffins.

Silvia

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked whgille
  • jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    Original Author
    6 years ago

mmmm,... my mouth is watering, - great looking muffins Silvia ! We here got lucky with Irma, - she veered to the east at the last minute as she headed north ! Only minimal damage hereabouts but my heart was in my mouth just the same ! Did have to tie up one large Ice Cream banana plant, ( with the large stalk shown above ), as Irma tilted it over about 30 degrees, but easily managed to save it.

• tinael01
    6 years ago

Wow I'm so jealous! I am in Largo near the beaches...Which is 10A really but I do get a few cold days. what really gets those nanners is I live in a desert and my well water is full of salt. The bananas always fruit in the dead of Winter and I lose them between the cold and the lack of rain.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked tinael01