SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samantha_g22

Impossible living room layout, tight budget, and loosing hope

Sam
6 years ago

We are renting a place that is in a great location but has the most awkward living room layout. I'm really struggling how to make our furniture work so it doesn't feel awkward or cramped when you enter our home. The whole house is small- a little under 1000 sq. feet and both entry doors (front door, garage door) open directly into the living/dining room combo.

Here's the problem- Our living room is too small to "float furniture" like our sofa. If it's not against a wall, it is blocking either a main pathway or an entry into a bedroom/bathroom. I've put that sofa in every angle I can think of and it just makes the pathways feel cramped and tiny, as well as making the living area uncomfortably small. I've tried flip flopping the tv against both long walls and I'm not happy with either layout. I wish/want to make a faux entryway somehow but am currently struggling to do so. We also just purchased an 8x10 rug to use to try to "divide" the areas.

This main living space is long and narrow- about 12x23. And to make matters worse, all of our furniture is old hand me downs/mis matched. So this adds to awkwardness! We are on a tight budget and right now here is our game plan to make our current furniture work.

-Paint all the wood matching shade (white?)

-Currently saving up for a new couch (no more futon!!)

-Currently saving up for ikea bookcases that will work better for our space. I feel like the ladder shelves are just too big.

-Paint pink chair or replace it with a smaller chair, no ottoman

-smaller coffee table(?)

I'm getting really frustrated because every way I try to rearrange the furniture, I am unsatisfied. It either feels stiff, cramped, or just awkward. And we don't have the expendable money to just go out and buy all new things. I am losing hope over and my mind. I'm hoping this community can give us some advice.

Comments (29)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm