SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily_vanderark

Living Room Layout Nightmare

Emily Vander Ark
3 years ago

We moved house this summer to a cozy, traditional 60s house and are still working on some updates to make it our own. One thing we can't change, however, is the living room. I have a structural design dilemma, as well as the complication of keeping my 2-year old's play area in the living room as well.

The room is a decent size, but it has two large pass-through openings and a huge bay window on the longest wall. The structural issue is that previous owners removed part of a wall to open the dining area to the living room, so the current wall ends across from the middle of the bay window. My instinct is to put the couch directly across from the window, but then it would be half in front of the wall, and half in front of the pass-through opening.

Back in November I relieved some election stress by rearranging the furniture every few days into any configuration I could think of, to see what would maybe work, so from these photos you should be able to get a good idea of how the furniture we have would fit in different places. I'm not against removing the sleepy hollow chair because I think the footstool takes up too much space, but it is my husband's favorite chair. (We also have my parents living with us right now, so we need extra seating.) I have never had a coffee table before, but my daughter uses this one for coloring/play dough/general play, and I'd rather have a coffee table than a kid's table in the living room. We also have a dog and cat, so while I did put the sofa in front of the window at one time, it was a constant battle to keep everyone off the back of it.

My favorite layout we had so far was with the Christmas tree, but once the tree came down it didn't feel right. I'm also open to suggestions of furniture changes we might make down the road to make the room work. We still own all the furniture pictured, just not in this room anymore. Once I started rearranging I stopped trying to "finish" with wall hangings etc until we figure out something more permanent. Paint in the entryway has also changed. ;)

Thanks for any and all help, this room has been puzzling me for the last 6 months!

Original layout, sofa against kitchen wall:

Experiment, sofa broken by wall across from window:

Experiment, sofa in front of window:

Experiment, furniture centered on rug in room:

For Christmas, my favorite layout so far:

Current layout, with toy/play area in corner off camera left:

Comments (66)

• Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

Your house is cozy and charming, a lovely family space. I prefer the latest arrangement you showed above. You have created a nice adult conversation space and a separate play area. Good job!

• Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

Can you center the leather sofa under the window so that it’s more symmetrical?

• Related Discussions

Odd shaped Living room- design nightmare!

Q

Comments (5)
    I do not have any furniture for this room, currently I have two dining room chairs in there so it's not just an empty room- so anything you can imagine in a living room is fair game. I am neutral about having a television in this room. I can always mount one above the fireplace if needed or use a tablet. I plan to use this room as a gathering place for a few friends/family to sit and talk sit. I would also use room to read or relax in my free time. My home was built in the early 1900's the house is pretty traditional. I have very high ceilings (12 ft) and very tall windows (6ft.) Windows are just normal double hung windows. My fireplace is dark Mahogany wood (very similar fireplace photo attached) Stairs are also traditional/colonial- dark hardwood floor on stair treads and white risers. (Very similar Staircase photo attached below- I do not have wainscoting though)
    ...See More

living room layout help- front door opens into living room

Q

Comments (2)
    My living room layout is very similar! I had my couch horizontal in front of your window creating a entryway, maybe put a console table behind the couch.
    ...See More

living room layout nightmare!

Q

Comments (22)
    Yes! Except I think the rug should run horizontally with the windows .What do you think? You need a coffee table. With this arrangement, you might be able to fit another accent chair into the mix.
    ...See More

Living Room Layout for Open Concept Room

Q

Comments (3)
    Are you going to be satisfied with walking into the front door and having the closet and TV....right there? I'd give some consideration into creating a foyer entrance and then the TV placement.
    ...See More
  • Emily Vander Ark
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Amanda Smith the off-set sofa bothers me, too! If I move it under the window, there is an awkward angle/overlap between it and the recliner, and a weird empty corner on the other side. The sofa is also farther away from any chairs that end up in the window. Maybe I can hang something (a mirror?) On the wall to the right of the window to make it more balanced?

• Emily Vander Ark
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also thinking of finding a small/medium round or oval rug to put in the play area corner, and shifting the large rug down toward the sofa a bit, to help define the two spaces?

• Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

It’s hard to tell from your photo... is there enough room to center the sofa under the window? I would try that first... maybe you can re-position that chair. How about a fun shag rug for the play area?

• MarylandHomebody
    3 years ago

Emily, I am not sure what you were looking to spend, if anything.

One suggestion is to take the perfect layout provided by Jan and buy furniture with casters. You could also add casters to your existing furniture. It will give you the ability to switch your layout around easily based on the occasion. If your kids are working on a big project, you move everything to the wall like you have it. If you're hosting a party, you setup a chic conversion area.

Your main window is begging for a console with two matching lamps behind a neutral rolled arm sofa with extra wide sheers.

Sofa - https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/lauryn-sofa-w001370014.html?piid=1314982108

Chair - https://www.baers.com/item/traditional-lounge-chair/1529787747

• Dana
    3 years ago

Have you tried the nugget couch under the window?

I like the brown chair in the corner.

can you pull the white couch forward and hide some of the bigger towns behind the couch? I like it perpendicular to the bay window.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

The only DIFFERENCE between what you once tried, and what I drew?

A console and and lamp in the bay........TWO CHAIRS THAT MATCH , where you have a mis match, and a move of the toast colored chair over to the other side.

I traced right over your own photo. And added a large cocktail table which could also be a very large round ottoman on casters about 42 inches diameter. You can roll it right ut of the way for kiddies. On the blank wall at left with the "futon? No........you really need toy storage ,. Closed ) This is a trace over.

You're asking how to make it look good : ) Not how to show a big rug. Right? "Thrifting" is great, and better yet when it doesn't look like thrifting. Something needs a match and some cohesion.

Look again.......traced over your own previous try

• Emily Vander Ark
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I appreciate your input, @JAN MOYER , but I have to admit it is difficult to read your comments without feeling like you are shouting at me 😂

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

No shout iother than notice its a TRACE lol over your own of several attempted arrangements. What you liked about xmas was the tree and "cozy' via something in that bay. . Wide open space and too much distance for conversation, makes it hard to get your "cozy"

• njmomma
    3 years ago

I love your home, the decorating is so inviting.

Take @JAN MOYER advice, she is usually right about these things. She will help you achieve the look you have going in the rest of your rooms and you and your children will be very happy in the end.

• Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

Jan Moyer, I don’t think you are really listening to the OP. She says she loves thrifting which i take to mean she does not want to make a lot of purchases. She needs a play area for a toddler . I don’t see that in your plans. Also, I don’t see how a white fabric ottoman would work for her right now. I can just picture a toddler with crayons and markers!

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

Where did Jan recommend a white fabric ottoman? She said "These are just random screen grabs, no concrete suggestions."

Jan's not yelling. She's here to help. She's been here a long time and she's really smart. I don't think she's recommending you spend Park Avenue $$$, and we have seen MANY thrifty shoppers do amazing things on a tight budget. But you don't have to take her advice.

As for open space for a toddler, I have had four, so know a little about space for toddlers. If your priorities are to have a place for kids to play, then one knows very well how to push furniture around and make that (casters on the furniture is a great idea per Mitchell Garcia). We had those pop-up tents and tunnels, huge train racetracks, legos everywhere, and on and on. It was important to me (and an easier life for me) to let the kids have their creative space. I never allowed play dough or markers in there though. Those were kitchen table items. But we also had places to sit where it was comfortable to watch TV or have conversations. In your shoes, I'd have an adult area and a kid play area somewhere other than the coffee table.

In your case OP, if you have open space around the coffee table, you won't achieve a traditional layout for adults to exist, converse and enjoy the room. That's ok, too. But the main issue most people are going to see from a room-arrangement point of view is that all the furniture is pushed back and doesn't relate to the rug, nor do the pieces of furniture relate to each other in any traditional sort of spacing. That's not a judgment, I've had all the kiddos and the kiddo toys too.

• bluemarble
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

What a beautiful home. I like the arrangement with the sofa facing the window and the cat on the chair haha. We have a similar issue with doorways and windows not aligning well for certain arrangements, but your room is big enough to float the sofa. That makes all the difference, and it would become a non-issue for me. Maybe you could install a window ledge for the cat? I guess the tricky thing with floating a sofa is having a place to plug in lamps.

But, the Christmas tree arrangement is great especially since it's the one you like. The chair w/ ottoman looks pretty awesome in the corner with the tall plants. The rest of the toys can go in another corner or spread around the room in baskets so they become part of the decor. Some could even go in your daughter's bedroom (crib & dress-up toys). Matching chairs in front of the window complete the look. Can the recliner go in the basement with the tv?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

I am ALL for children at play.........but see the issue? One room looks "rudderless," a bit adrift. It has no anchors, your eyes get confused, don't know where to land and that is especially magnified with as much un matched seating ( your photo ) . The other looks like "come in, sit down. Lets visit".

Matching chairs can be found, even thrifting. Four cubes pushed together to a 36 inch square, makes a versatile "cocktail" that can separate tor perch/pull up SEATING and are easy to move for kids spread out on the floor.

Point is, the feel of the space. How it can serve both kids and adults. Baskets hidden behind the sofa can corral toys. An acknowledgment that staring at a futon doesn't add any other storage, nor is it good seating for a grown adult.

The option to have "lovely" is there, but not going to lie. ...........the room needs a push : ) and not every toy a child owns, need be in the room. Or visible.

FOUR.......... BELOW

I'd rather stare at art than a futon, to be honest: ) and hide some kiddie stuff at the same time.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

Lots of good advice here but the one thing that stands out to me is the white free standing cabinet and the clutter on top. Maybe that could be painted and everything on top go in a basket. I know you plan on painting the kitchen cabinets someday but that is a huge big deal that will look awful, i.e chipped and dirty, unless not done exactly right.

And good drapes would make a big difference but they don't have to be expensive. I'm a fan of Targets black out drapes because they have a nice linen look and heft at a inexpensive price. Around 25 a panel and you could get several for each side for visual impact.

Those are the two things I would do first.

• Dana
    3 years ago

Jan, Love the idea of smaller ottomans forming the coffee table or just using two smaller ottomans. i just replaced our coffee table with two smaller storage cubes and it is so much easier to navigate. We’restill looking for the perfect small ottomans with storage.

• Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

I would, first of all, center the white sofa under that window. That will immediately give the room balance. Then I would look for 2 matching lamps for the end tables. I love the look of the brown leather chair with matching ottoman in the window. That’s a nice piece of furniture that should have the focus on it.

• wednesday morning
    3 years ago

I like the idea of having the seating all together and having all of the easily accessible walk around space. Seating like that allows for both solitary or group togetherness. And, the clear walk ways around give it an easy feeling and a nice flow, in my opinion.

You called this a nightmare. This is anything, but. If this is the subject of your nightmares, you must have a blessed life.

The world is living in a real nightmare at this time and your nicely furnished living room is not part of that.

You are not alone in using these superlatives.

Nightmare? No. It is a nice living room with many lovely possibilities .

My daughter has a very similar configuration in her house and has tried many arrangements much like yours. Also she has a son who has used the whole house as a toy box. That will change as they grow. I see your little rounding the corner in that one photo.

Your house is very nice and looks comfortable.

• Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

The OP has turned one corner of the room into a play area.... I think that’s a very sweet idea and very practical for her at this time. The futon, as I understand it, is for her young daughter as well. I suggested a shag rug for the play area and I also suggest some fun pillows for the futon.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

Jan, LOL you always nail it!

• Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

Jan, yes you grew up in different times, for sure! My grandkids had their own play area in an area of an elegant upscale living room... this just worked better for their parents. As they got older and could play independently, their things were moved to the basement or their bedrooms.

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

Same experience growing up, Jan. Family of six in a 1500 square foot home. Blanket tents were so fun!

• shwshw
    3 years ago

following...

• Kathy Furt
    3 years ago

My mom shoved us in play pens too. Her house was perfect with 5 kids. The LR was a museum. But 4 large bedrooms so that’s where some toys went. In MN we had a basement with all our toys. I loved my doll in a hairdressers chair! Dad froze the patio for ice skating in tbe winter

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

OMG!!! Playpens! Forgot about those and my youngest sister behind BARS l: )

Soooooo convenient and so safe! Even young kids had chores. We had to "walk" the little rat....one day, neither I, nor my middle wanted the chore. Dad said, "Okay, nobody likes her. She's WAY too much trouble. I think we should just give her away" And he started carrying her up the street. NO!!!!!!!!!! DON'T GIVE HER AWAY!! DAD.... come Baaaaaaaack. .................

Yeah, she's still around lol

• lynartist
    3 years ago

What a fun read! Brings back memories 😂 We were Not allowed to play in the house despite the fact that it was a large old Victorian. Thankfully it had a large wrap around porch that gave plenty of shelter when it rained! We came in to eat and use the bathroom! The neighborhood of kids never wanted to play inside anyway, you knew it was time to go home when the streetlights went on!

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

lyn, you're hilarious...we came in to eat and pee. Sounds about right!

• lynartist
    3 years ago

😂We were not allowed to watch tv during the week! I remember getting up early on Saturday morning with our bowl of cereal ( quietly spas not to wake Mom& Dad) and stare at that test pattern on the tv waiting for the cartoons to start! Once they were over we had Saturday chores because that was cleaning day and then we got to go play outside. One time the tv broke down and Dad figured we didn’t need it for several months‼️

• lynartist
    3 years ago

I have to say I had an idyllic childhood♥️

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

Oh yes, Saturday morning cartoons. I remember when there was nothing to do in the evenings and I had read all the Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein books for the thousandth time, I would resort to browsing my dad's encyclopedias and almanacs. LOL

I think the OP is waiting for us to help her... how about a pair of rattan chairs like this one from Pier 1. It's out of stock right now, but just wanted to give a visual.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Emily, your home is lovely and I love the pic of your toddler and dog on the sofa! Adorable!!!

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

Curtains with a border to match a color in the rug?

• Emily Vander Ark
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm not waiting - just don't have much new to add.

1. Window treatments - I mentioned above that the current are temporary. There are some good suggestions here for when I'm ready to upgrade.

2. Pair of chairs - I wrote above that I like this idea and I'll be keeping my eyes peeled. I'm not going to go out and buy new ones after 2 days. :)

3. Coffee table/ottoman - I've mentioned both that my daughter uses this table and that it has drop leaves. An upholstered ottoman would not serve my multiple purposes for this piece. When the leaves are up it is round and a similar size to what Jan has suggested in her drawing.

4. Play area - I don't have kids who are the age of fully independent play alone in their bedrooms or outside unsupervised, or who will clean up by themselves. I have a 2 year old and another baby on the way. Hopefully more kids after. Small toddlers and babies want to play near the adults, so a play area that works in my living room is non negotiable. I have gleaned some ideas here that will help me make it a bit more pleasing, but it will be there! Certainly when my kids are of the ages being described above the room will change and toys moved to the basement/bedrooms. But for my family that will not be for several years.

5. The recliner also needs to stay because after a long day pregnant running around after a toddler, working from home, etc, that is where I sit to relax, and also where I'll sit to nurse the new baby. Again something that can change down the road.

I don't doubt that Jan's suggestions are the most "pleasing," but looking good is not my *only* goal for this room. I need it to function for the way we already live, not change the way we live for the sake of what looks best. (Moving furniture around multiple times a day to "make room" for play doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.) I think creating separate areas for adults and kids (the adult portion of which will nearly completely follow the advice given) is the compromise my family needs.

I do love reading everyone's ideas and advise! No one can know every detail about how the room is used so I can take what will help and leave the rest. It does help give clarity and get the gears turning for my own ideas in different directions than they were before.

I can't post any more "after" photos as of yet. Things change slowly with three generations in the house and the one who would go shopping/push for changes (me) is pregnant and sleeping during most of my free time. But I feel I have a much better idea of the direction I want to go. :)

• lynartist
    3 years ago

I’m very impressed your home is so tidy with a toddler! Most of us grew up in a much different , innocent time that unfortunately doesn’t exist anymore! Having two small granddaughters myself I can assure you their home is usually quite chaotic! Regardless, everyone seems happy so who am I to complain. The parents have this cute table & chair set that the girls use all the time for crafts & eating. I think it’s from IKEA. They dropped off a spare set at my house today😂😩, ( housecleaning I guess!)

• Dana
    3 years ago

Appreciate the update OP and love your perspective. Everyone is here to help, but only has limited info about your situation. The input is so valuable, but has to be taken in context. It’s nice to have this forum available with all the willing contributors. I enjoy learning from the contributors.

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

Hmmm...the exchange of ideas is the fun part. Good luck with your family.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

When we lived in a townhouse, there was a dining room right next to it. The DR was long enough to accommodate a play area on one end and that’s where my son would be when we were cooking. Since so much of the day can be spent in the kitchen or on laundry (our washer/dryer closet was there too) it ended up being the default toy area simply through function.

I would definitely have a play area close to where the adults spend most of their time. Good luck!

• Emily Vander Ark
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@shwshw that's a un idea! I might experiment sometime next time I have the itch to move the furniture. :) The one detail that wouldn't work is in the front right corner where you have a chair, you have... a corner. There's really no corner there, so that chair would be floating in the walkway. The corner on the left is deeper than what you have drawn. But it's a good suggestion I haven't considered before!

• shwshw
    3 years ago

As you can see I just "made up" the floor plan as best I could. But, it's more about the idea than where I put the furniture. Please let us know how your progress goes.

• wednesday morning
    3 years ago

Jan is right about how it used to be. My grand kids have. more toys and clothes and stuff than I and my own kids ever did all together! We had not so much stuff as we just had play time. NO one ever told us to not go out because it was too cold, or too hot. I know that I never had enough to spread around and my kids did not either. We read books and played board games and, like Jan, made forts with blankets spread over chairs.

My grand kids have/do take over the entire house with stuff! My grand daughter has a little play stove and the likes of that in the living room. I think that she is about grown out of it and I dont' know that her baby brother is that interested. They inherited it from a neighbor.

I understand that the young ones want to be near and that you want them to be near so that you can keep tabs on them. We also lived in very small houses, so distance was not really a factor.

Still, Emily's house is a very nice family house and that is the most important ,no matter where the couch is.

• Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

I like shwshw’s suggestion above...I’m sure you will figure out a solution, Emily. You have a beautiful home. Good luck to you!

• everdebz
    3 years ago

All I know is that I like seeing the rug. :)

• Emily Vander Ark
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is an old post! But things change slowly and since posting my parents moved out, I had a baby who is now 6 mos, and all of the rest of these crazy times... Thought I'd post some updates for anyone interested :) And, all new items were thrifted! (Except the shades and the matching lamps. ;) The open rug area is both our walkway from entry to dining and our dance floor, dog wrestling pen, yoga mat, obstacle course zone, etc.

Further plans:

Refinish coffee table. Suggestions? Black? Darker finish? Lighter finish?

Dye curtains to add some contrast? Undecided on this one. Would like to purchase some clip on rings to use rather than the tabs.

Frame the large family photo on the big wall.

The play area is in use at the moment, as usual, but when tidy the tops of the shelves are clear. :) Someday when the kids are big I would still plan to have a piano here alongside a cozy chair. But not yet!

Thanks for looking. :)

• shwshw
    2 years ago

I love it! Thanks for the update

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Nice improvement. That's the very thing I would have suggested for the bay window. Have you ever tried the bedroom rug in this room? I think I like it better, and since it has no fringe, it might hold up to family traffic a bit better. However, it may be quite a bit smaller, but the center medallion would be a beautiful floor focal here. I do like leggy chairs to sit entirely on or off rugs. Did you ever try centering the rug with the bay and then floating the sofa to face the windows with a traffic path behind it? I think that would still leave room by the single window for the play area. You might also float the sofa directly out from that smaller window and put the chairs at the entry end, thereby blocking a bit of the play area from the view of the entry and social area. I preferred the hutch with art above instead of the books. Wonder if it could be hung above the chair rail on the opposite wall; sort of out of direct view from the entry and living area. If you moved the base into the living wall where your family portrait is, the space between the living and dining areas could be a nice play area. Lower the portrait to 5" above the hutch base. Would the two large gray framed pieces work right and left of the bay window, centered 5' above the floor? Hope you'll keep tweaking1

• happyleg
    2 years ago

Thanks for posting Emily that looks nice and congrats on your new family

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

I think it looks so much better. Thanks for updating us and congratulations on the new baby :)

• Amanda Smith
    2 years ago

It looks great! I think a black coffee table might look good.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County