SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chi83

Trump's executive orders - healthcare

Chi
6 years ago

I'll be the first to admit I'm not an expert in the intricacies of the government. I do know that Trump has failed multiple times to dismantle the ACA with a Congress majority. He's now started doing it himself with executive orders. How is he able to just decide to change the laws on his own? Isn't that why we have a checks and balances system?

For those who are unaware, he did two executive orders. The first is to increase competition with insurance and allow people to buy insurance from other states. Plans can be less comprehensive and less expensive. The fear is that the young and healthy population will go for the cheaper, skimpier coverage and everyone with chronic or pre-existing conditions will be stuck with much more expensive premiums to get the healthcare that they need. Healthcare pools work best with the young and healthy population offsetting the costs of everyone else.

The second, signed last night, immediately takes away the federal subsidies for lower income health insurance. The concern here is that the middle class who doesn't qualify for subsidies will have their premiums increased to cover it.

To me, it's clear that Trump is mad he couldn't have his way so he's trying to make Obamacare worse, hoping that the American people will blame the ACA and not Trump, and he will be able to overturn it easier. I just hope people can see though this is for what it really is.

Comments (34)