SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eva_nsw

New leaves of a fiddle leaf fig dying

Eva
6 years ago

**I posted this post in the Figs section first and then realised that it is only for edible figs - reposting it here, unfortunately I cannot delete the original post**

Hi everyone,

I'm really puzzled by my fiddle leaf fig behaviour. I bought it 3-4 months ago (winter here in AU) to rescue it as it was in quite a state, the leaves were brown, crispy and curling.

I left it in the original pot and started to take care of it. It has bright indirect sunlight all-day coming from a skylight.

The plant looks rather healthy now, the leaves are thick and have recovered a deep green colour. After a short while the plant grew a new leaf and that leaf grew well, now it's nearly as big as the other ones (it can be recognised by the slightly lighter colour).

Unfortunately since a month ago, roughly as spring started, 4 or 5 little new leaves have tried to grow (from the same spot the healthy new leaf was born) but as soon as they open up they become dry/brownish and fall dead. They are roughly 1cm long when they die, they don't stay on the fig for long, it's quite a quick process (1-2 days).

At the beginning of spring I gave the fig a tiny bit of fertiliser, and that might have started this new leaf process, but as soon as the first new baby leaf died I stopped using fertiliser and stuck to water and seaweed liquid every now and then. I keep the soil on the moist side, but not wet.

As I said I haven't repotted the fig yet, there's no roots coming out of the pot and I read that they prefer to be pot bound. I also didn't think repotting would be a good idea since the fig needed to recover first.

The fig has two additional stalks, those are quite small and have not produced any new leaves yet.

I've attached a picture of the new baby leaf and how it died and fell in just 1 day.

Does anybody know what's up with my fig? What can I do?

Thanks!

Comments (12)