SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazyjz1

African Violet light needs in "lux".

Jeff Zenner
6 years ago

This question is primarily directed at irina but I welcome any input.

Recently, I have been researching light requirements for AV's grown indoors under artificial lighting (fluorescent specifically). The more I find out, the less I think I know. For example:

Optimara plants typically don't like or want a whole bunch of light. Newer opti plants can be easily burned if exposed to what many AV growers would consider "normal" lux levels of artificial light. (Ask me how I know that.)

Yet, the official Optimara web site lists the desired lux light level for AV's at 10,000 to 12,000 lux.

Elsewhere on the GW site, the proper lux for AV's is mentioned in the 6500 lux range.

My findings are that if I stay somewhere around 7000 lux I don't burn too many leaves and the plants seem to do well. I found this out by slowly reducing the amount of light my plants got over a period of months. Once the plants started telling me that they were healthy, I broke out my lux meter and tested.

This seems like it defeats the purpose of the electronic meter. Why the controversy? Or did I misread something?

Comments (10)