SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

To Compost in Fall or Not?

subk3
6 years ago

In the rest of my perennial gardens I typically put them to bed after a few heavy frosts by putting down an inch or two of my own horse manure compost followed by a layer of fine pine bark. The biggest problem I've had with roses here is the late winter/early spring warmups followed by bitter cold--that seems to be brutal on the teas and I've lost most of them. I think I've heard that you don't want to fertilize roses in the late summer/fall because you don't want to push growth only to have it freeze. Does that include compost? Would it make the problem of freezing spring growth worse? In the last year or so I've been eliminating the teas and replacing them with more winter hardy rose varieties, so it may not even be an issue now. In general I don't do much fertilizing--a shovel full of compost once maybe twice a year is it for the roses--the perennials just get their fall dose.

So, late fall composting along with mulch on the roses this year or not? (I'm in Middle TN z7, but too cold for z7 roses, lots of winter moisture.)

Comments (16)