SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jps4483

cottony cushion scale

6 years ago

I have just identified cottony cushion scale on two mature orange trees and a younger lemon tree. The trees in general have had a hard time, when I inherited them in the spring they were overgrown and strangled by blackberries, these have since been removed and I've cut out as much dead wood as I can reach, as the orange trees are BIG. The leaves still looked curled and pale. I have watered and fertilized with chicken manure. Yesterday I discovered cottony cushion scale on them, the infestation does not look totally bad, there are no ant colonies and only few black spots. but I am far from an expert after only being looking after the trees for a few months. The trees had been neglected for many many years. Despite all this they are still producing edible fruit, although they don't look the best they could be.

Please any advice on how to treat the scale? I have neem oil and and rubbing alchohol, the lemon tree will be easy to spray but the two orange trees will be a nightmare because of their size.

Comments (6)