SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

My plants need humid - but the humid is causing mildew. Compromise?

cfox248
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I live in lovely Zone 3. That means right now it's cold! And all of my plants are inside because night time temperatures have started occasionally dipping to that 40 degree mark.

I recently bought a Miracle Fruit plant. I read every thread I could find on them, including about how they are notoriously picky and hard to grow and frustrating and die if you look at them wrong. So I'm trying to give it the best I can over a zone 3 winter.

They like humid! 70% humid to 100%. It is NOT humid here right now, it's really dry. So I set up a grow light in my laundry closet - which, incidentally, is in my bathroom. Due to a blockage in the dryer ducting somewhere (apartment complex) we don't have the little duct thing on the dryer venting outside, it just vents into the bathroom, which is fine because it's a bathroom and is used to it being real humid. So, it stays pretty humid between showers and stuff with the occasional "holy humidity batman" thing going on maybe every other day I run the dryer. The plant also likes to have moist (but not wet) soil, so I've been keeping it so.

I see, a few days after planting, fuzzy mildew growing on the surface of the soil. Well crap! I don't know what to do about it. It needs to be kept humid, but obviously it might be TOO humid (no other suitable spot on my apartment though!!) - How can I control the mildew over the winter?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH