SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liam_kennedy83

New to interior design, how can you help?

Liam Kennedy
6 years ago

As a photojournalist by trade my job can tend to take me away from home for long periods of time, performing arduous tasks, carrying heavy gear and operating in stressful situations. I want to design a space for my first time and for myself that I can come home to and feel calm as well as relaxed, even inspired to go right back out.

This time next year I plan on decorating a 680 sq. ft. 1 bd. 1ba. apartment. So I am starting the process early with a little bit of research. I would like to design a minimalist space that incorporates the use of photography (wall mounted), books both of the visual and literary styles, and a comfortable yet compact work space for my computers.

I lack ability and vision when it comes to color coordination, furniture matching and the ability to make a small room feel spacious. I do know I would like to incorporate the use of earth tones in the bedroom. Gray, black, and oak in the living room. White, navy blue and black in the kitchen.

I do not have a budget yet but I am currently estimating my investment at $8,000 - $10,000

Any advice would be appreciated as well as answers to the following questions:

• What do you wish you knew then, that you know now?
  • Who do you look up to in the interior design world?
  • Good links to items or quality furniture stores / websites?
  • Best things to invest in upfront?
  • Best mid-price photo frames?

Comments (3)