SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_weeks93

Planting a Clematis on a Steep Slope

I am thinking about planting a Montana Mayleen on this south facing slope that would be in direct sun for 12+ hours a day. Currently it is mostly covered in weeds and has been for the last 30 years. I'd like to add something that is low maintenance and very drought hardy once established. I think it would be financially burdensome to try for some effort at terracing and watering it long term will be problematic as my parents get older. I would love something that would show some semblance of erosion control too, but we've had issues keeping things alive here because it is simply baked most of the year and it's hard to get enough water to the plant with how steep the slope is in reality. It is a good 15 to 20 foot rise, and along the top edge is a roadway.

I am a little at a loss as to where the best place to plant it as a starting place. At the bottom so it climbs up the hill? At the top so it leans down the hill and stretch to the light? In the middle so it can spread outwardly? Is this a non starter idea because of the plant choice for the location?

If you have other recommendations I am glad to hear them.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH