SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dallasartssalon

Doing a Kitchen "Facelift" Not Remodel But Need Help

For a myriad of reasons (cost, time, disruption, etc), we have decide to do a facelift on our small galley kitchen rather than full on remodel but I have been given conflicting advice about the order that projects should be done in.

We are to some degree acting as our own GC as we have an electrician and plumber we have used for years although we are going to get a quote from one company who will do the below except the appliance piece and we will evaluate the 2 options.

We are getting new appliances (overs, cooktop & hood) & keeping dishwasher & refrigerator. For the wall oven, we have had an old Magic Chef double oven removed & are replacing it with a microwave and a single oven and just need some minor carpentry in the existing cabinet.

We are replacing a 30" electric cooktop with an induction cooktop & will be putting in a minimal looking vent hood over which will replace a large over the cooktop/under cabinet microwave.

Have ordered the new appliances from Best Buy & they already did a measure & they will install.

We need to have a shelf built in existing cabinet for the microwave and have our electrician install an outlet for the 3-prong plug.

Cabinets - we either want to replace the 18 cabinets doors & 16 drawers with flat panel ones but if too expensive we will just paint existing ones and replace hardware.

Cabinet Paint: we want to use a low or no VOC paint. We found a paint by Dunn-Edwards called Aristoshield (oil-like performance in a water-based paint & a primer called Ultra-Grip sold at Treehouse that would meet our needs,

Has anyone used these paints on kitchen cabinets and happy with results, Many painters are reluctant to not use oil paint.

Hardware - need new knobs or pulls & possibly hinges - any good places online to recommend?

Countertops - planning to do quartz or casarstone,

Sink/Faucet/Disposal - new sink, faucet & would like to get a push button operated disposal & get rid of wall switch.

Backsplash - I know this will be done last and just starting to look at the way too many options out there. We have a small area to tile so may splurge. I fell in love with a sample of a Porcelanosa Bluebell backsplash I saw yesterday, Swoon!

So my question boils down to the order that things should be done in:

1. Cabinets

2. Appliances (electrical will be done in advance)

3. Counterpoint/sink/faucet/disposal (need plumber)

4. Backsplash

5. Final paint touch-up

Am I missing anything?

Do or should the existing countertops & backsplash be removed before the cabinet painting starts?

Or do we do appliances, countertop & backsplash & paint cabinets last?

We are trying to minimize the amount of time we loose the use of our kitchen but get this project done in the shortest overall period of time.

We have a small house & our washer/dryer is in the kitchen as is the only door to our backyard to let our dog out.

While this may not result in a "wow" kitchen - we are pretty sure we will improve our existing kitchen significantly at a budget we will be more comfortable with and that is more in keeping with the value of our house. Just taping some paint colors to the existing upper cabinet doors shows me this alone with make a big difference.

Thanks in advance.

PS - I will edit post and add some photos of existing kitchen later.

Comments (38)