SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowjay

Kitchen facelift. Need help with backsplash.

snowjay
13 years ago

Well I figured it was about time I joined since I've been reading here on and off for quite some time.

I started my kitchen facelift in my condo a couple of months ago and it's slowly winding down. It's a small condo and I didn't want to do a full out gut and reno to keep the budget low. Basically everything is new except the walls and cabinets. I would of loved new cabinets and even considered new doors but chose to work with what I have. After putting new hardware on the doors and converting to concealed hinges the cabinets look a whole lot better to me. The biggest issue was leveling the bottom cabinets for the granite counters. There weren't level to start with and I don't think the original contractor even bothered since nothing was shimmed and the floor dropped at least 3/8" over 9'. It's on a concrete slab so I don't know if it has settled that much in 25 years or it was poured/finished like that. But they are level now and the granite went on with no issues.

Which brings me to my current dilemma, what do I do for a backsplash? I have golden/honey oak cabinets and a bianco romano granite counter top. The kitchen is U shaped so I don't think I want anything too busy and would like something that has a long of long straight lines to make it appear wider. I like the look of a subway or brick pattern but am thinking a longer tile like 8x12 in the same pattern might be nice, but I'm not married to any idea yet. Using some construction paper, sample tiles and level I was able to mock up some tile patterns. I'll post photos below.

First this is what I started with... hello 1984.

That was when I first moved in, at some point I refaced the dishwasher with a black panel and painted the fridge black. But until a couple of months ago it was pretty much unchanged.

Here it is with new stainless appliances, cabinet hardware and concealed hinges.

The cabinets aren't really that dark in real life and the graining isn't as pronounced as the photos show.

Granite installed:

Now the real reason for my post... here are some mockups of backsplashes. I'd love to hear comments or even different patterns to try. In my mind I'm thinking a travertine or ceramic/porcelain travertine look tile unless otherwise noted. I was also trying to keep a border pattern low that wraps the whole kitchen and not get broken up at the window over the sink.

4x4 bottom row, 1" border 2nd row, 3x6 for the field and the stove accent is a single 8x8 surrounded by 4x4 tiles inside a border.

cut 4x4 bottom row, 3x12" field tiles, stove accent is 4x4's with a border. This is my favorite so far.

3x12 field tiles, border in 2nd row a diamond pattern from Lowe's.

3x12 field tiles, 2nd row of 1" glass tiles bordered x 1/2x12" glass tiles. Glass color undetermined.

Sorry for the long post! :)

Comments (28)