SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annapowell_2017

What filter should I try now?

anna powell
6 years ago

I hope this hasn’t been talked here yet as I haven't been around here much for a while, but here it goes.

I Would like to receive some input on ‘how to pick a furnace filter?’. I was using a Web permanent washable filter until I read that these filters don't filter well and can lead to a lot of dirt on the A-coil.

Some time ago, on an HVAC forum, I read that the best compromise was to get a MERV 8 filter from HD. This will be good enough to keep the coil clean and it won’t cost too much nor be too restrictive. I have been doing exactly this and seemed ‘okay’ until changing the filter this month. After only one month, it had buckled and was very difficult to remove. I don't think anything has changed in the house which should have created a lot more dust and so caused the filter to clog up prematurely.

So now I am trying to figure out what to do next. I would rather not spend a lot of money on the pricey 3M Filtrete filters, especially, since I've heard that they can be pretty restrictive when they are loaded up.

So, I want to ask you “What is the general consensus regarding furnace filters?” Do I just buy the cheap fiberglass ones and replace them every month, or is it worth spending $20 per filter? Please help!

Comments (5)