SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlynn1187

Suggestions for adding greenery and other decor to mantle?

jlynn1187
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Ever since we moved into our house, we’ve had the same mantle decor- three pillar candles and a little clock from Pottery Barn. It’s pretty, but I would like to add onto it a bit. I’d love to incorporate some greenery (maybe some topiary plants?) and other items (frames, etc) to freshen it up a bit. What do you think would work well? Is there anything that work with my pillar candles and clock? If so, how would you incorporate them? I’ve considered adding a floor plant (maybe a palm) as well just below the mantle. I do have little kids though so I’m cautious about adding something that they would try to play with! Thanks in advance!

pictures below for reference (please ignore the baby toys - and the baby lol)

Comments (55)

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Ingrid, what type of pictures would you suggest? I’ve had the hardest time trying to find something! I want something interesting but also don’t want anything too distracting since there are multiple focal points with the tv there (I really didn’t want the tv above the mantle but Hubby won that battle lol). I find it hard to decorate around the tv. Here are a few ideas I love but I’m not sure if they’d work with my mantle o not...

• eastautumn
    6 years ago

I like what you currently have better than any of your inspiration photos. It just looks simple and elegant, which suits the room nicely. Maybe you could move the clock over to the left side and have room for a plant on the right side. Maybe a small bamboo clump if you want something narrow and are considering a real plant. In any case, I imagine most people aren't going to notice what's on your mantel with that adorable baby in the house :)

• Related Discussions

decorating a long mantle for christmas... need help

Q

Comments (6)
    We always had colored lights growing up and it reminds me of home so I like them. :) Where did you see the poinsettia garland at? I would be concerned about it arriving all squished in the mail. In general larger items are better than a bunch of tiny ones. I'm sure you'll get some ideas here but the ladies on the Holiday forum are really nice and there's an inspiration album too. Categories are on the left. (see link) Link to the Holiday forum http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/christmas/ Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday Inspiration Album
    ...See More

Using real branches/greenery for Christmas decor???

Q

Comments (38)
    I forgot to mention I love the idea of the planters with greenery next to the door with the christmas balls. that is so cute. I swear everytime I come to this thread I smell pine. LOL I like the greenery on the handrails. I brought fake greenery like that in Michaels a couple of years ago with the white lights in it and it looked so elegant I hated to take it down!!! Caroline your husband looks sooooo cold LOL. That is something I do not miss although they say we might get hit with lots of snow this year (NC) and I am not looking forward to it AT ALL amck I would love to see your porch and front yard. chicoryflower thanks for the compliment. The front is only a small part of the property the back is REALLY beautiful. The Orig owner was a gardner but it happens that after she passed the next owners did not do much so the whole place is overgrown and out of control. it was just waiting for my TLC!! I have copied pictures that I saw in here for real life pine decorating and next year I am going to DO IT UP!! LOL. I see right now you guys are going to keep me sooo busy.
    ...See More

how would you decorate this mantle

Q

Comments (44)
    Thoughts on my updates so far? I’ve added some more blue accents. Try to ignore the big ottoman, it won’t be in here forever. I tried to take the ottoman out to play with the space without it. My husband really wants the big ottoman in here. I told him we will be moving it to the basement once that space is finished in a few months. I’m still searching for the right artwork for the mantle. Stuff up there are placeholders for now. I’ve added a photo where I try to cover the window with artwork to see what it looks like with 1 large piece but I didn’t have one big enough.
    ...See More

Help with mantle decor- too bare!

Q

Comments (32)
    As to colors: poppy floral art and rug - both have orangey- red? you could zing with 3rd orange [glass bowl type thing]. Or just keep the blues, brown sofa, etc., and have enough going. if this didn't work? can wear it... their display photo, see dark / grey chair with it. https://www.etsy.com/listing/940959810/100-luxurious-soft-silk-vibrant-green?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=peacock+blue&ref=sr_gallery-1-4&bes=1
    ...See More
  • jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@eastautumn thanks! I like what I have but I just wanted to try something a little different, add in a little interest and texture...and color.

found a couple things on Crate & Barrel. What do you think of any of these?

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think of the C&B vases above I like the Adra the best. It’s 14” tall which would make it a little taller than the candle on the right side of the mantle and a little shorter than the tall candle on the left. Would I stick it on the right and just move everything over a bit? What about adding some picture frames? I think I’m drawn to the vases because I like the idea of swapping out the stems based on the season - green for spring/summer, yellow/orange for fall and red berries for winter.

• nini804
    6 years ago

My anti-clutter bias is going to show...but I would get two big things and place one of either side of your TV and be done with it. To me, when you have something visually dominating like a TV or a significant piece of art (I have my dd's oil portrait above my mantle,) smaller accessories just distract and look cluttery to me. Granted, I am an oddly minimalist traditionalist :) but it seems more soothing and diliberate to my eye. Your accessories are lovely, I'd just stick them somewhere else.

• nini804
    6 years ago

I don't know why my photos look so fat and horizontally stretched when I post on here! :) I think if you click on it, it looks normal

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

The first few items you loved seem too rustic for this elegant fireplace. Something like the eucalyptus topiary, but perhaps a little taller and thinner, similar to what nini is showing above, seems the most suitable, because they're classic and simple. With all the baby things and the white bookcases with lots of little objects in them, the simplicity and color of two green topiaries would be great. I would try that and remove the pictures for a while. Some small original paintings on canvas without frames might be nice when you have the time to search. Have a look at e-bay which has lots of art at reasonable prices. I can't suggest what to buy because it has to be something you love. You might think about choosing animals, which baby might enjoy a little later, but not something cutesy, perhaps just well-done realistic art. It's so difficult to choose for someone else. I would not choose prints.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@nini thanks! Do you think the two topiaries would be better than the candles and clock I have there currently? Any suggestions for where I can get topiaries like the ones in your picture? I’m having a hard time finding some that are realistic but won’t break the bank!

@ingrid thanks for the suggestions! I’ll look into some canvas art. I have the hardest time selecting art that I actually love that has the right color scheme (blues/greens). Do you think the frame size of the artwork I have currently is too small? What size would you recommend? Thanks!

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Also...thoughts on putting a large palm or other potted plant on the floor in front of the mantle, on the left or right (or both)?

6 years ago

As mentioned, I like the idea of oil paintings on canvas without frames (cheaper that way too). I'd give that a try before thinking about frames. If you do want frames, they would have to fit that particular picture in style and color.

• nini804
    6 years ago

I got those at Ballard years ago...I feel certain they still carry something similar. And your two items don't have to be topiaries (although I like the green)..,they just have to be large. Definitely not anything small enough to fit under the TV. Again, this is all just what looks good to my eye! Others may differ! :)

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@ingrid thanks, I will be on the lookout for some oil on canvas art!

@nini I found a topiary at crate and barrel today- it’s the double ball instead of the single ball though. Think that makes a difference? got a few other things today as well- I’m excited to try them out and post pics!

• nini804
    6 years ago

I like those very much! Try it and see how you like it!

• User
    6 years ago

I really really want to find this for my entry way. The first photo you posted and because I am so not tech savvy I can't seem to copy and paste.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok guys... I played dress up with my mantle today. Let me know what you think! Any of these work better than my current layout (first pic)? Or would you mix and match anything?

Look #1: Current look (mercury glass candle pillars with silver clock)

Look #2: Existing decor with topiaries mixed in on either side (side note- store only had one tall topiary left so I grabbed it to try out)

Look #3: Existing decor + new white vases and burnt orange berry stems

Look #4: New white vases and burnt orange berry stems with clock and new lantern

Look #5: New white vases and green leaf stems with clock and new lantern

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

...Just wanted to add that since I really love mercury glass candle pillars, I’d love to find a way to work them into the decor somehow... maybe if I went with look #4 or #5, I could keep the candles on the left instead of the lantern and small vase? Or maybe a small or large white or silver lantern in place of either the small or large candle on the left? Pottery barn had some I liked... their friends and family sale ends tomorrow so I need to decide soon!

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here are the pieces pictured...

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

A few other items I saw but didn’t purchase...in case any of these might work...

• User
    6 years ago

I went a bought some of those stems. You are a terrible influence lol.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Love it! Which ones did you get?

• nini804
    6 years ago

Again, my symmetry/anti-clutter bias will be apparent.,.but I just feel like you have too many things on the mantle. My preference would be two of those woven vases with the greenery in them. Like # 5, but with just the vases flanking the TV, not the other stuff. Put the other things in the built ins. The clock in particular looks too small to be up there.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

At first glance, the thing that bothers me the most is the artwork. The things on the mantel are small, of course, because that's all you have room for. And since they're small, they disappear in relation to the artwork + the space around the artwork.

It seems you like symmetry. I do too. But maybe the art is too symmetrical. Especially as each is lined up exactly even over two identical white bookcases. The art is too small. The bookcases also seem too small for their space; the fireplace is beautiful but the bookcases look temporary.

If it were me, I'd work toward changing the artwork. What you have is too small and cautious.

I do like your Look #5 picture with the tallish vase with green stems. It gives variety and subtle color. Here's another thought: why are you adding bigger stuff on the mantel which really doesn't have room when the tops of both bookcases are empty?

(I also focused on the sweet baby. My baby granddaughter visited me today and I held her while she slept. *sigh*)

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@nini, I do love the vases. I just wonder if having only the small one on the left would seem a bit off kilter. I am a fan of symmetry, including when it comes to height, and I would probably feel more comfortable having objects of similar heights on each side. I just know myself and know that would drive me crazy lol... I am also drawn toward the pottery barn/crate and barrel style and they seem to group things in twos or threes often.

@littlebug, I’ve gotten a few comments on the artwork being so small. It’s funny to me because when I’m in the room, they don’t seem small. The room (and wall) is very huge, and it makes everything look smaller. I see what you mean about them maybe being too symmetrical but I guess I’m not sure what else to do. We bought those bookcases from ikea (they’re a build your own kind and each one is actually two separate bookshelves put together) when we first moved in because we hated the amount of open space on each side of the fireplace and couldn’t afford built ins at the time (still can’t! Haha). They were the most adorable thing we could find at the time that also seemed to work in the space. I’m not sure how much bigger they could be since they fit pretty well there. Do you mean too small height wise? Do you have any suggestions for things to place on top of the bookcases so they don’t look so empty? Or for something to replace the artwork on either side? I’m at a loss... I’ve seen and love those window frames with the glass removed- maybe they would work? Often I’ve seen them with green wreaths hanging on them and think that looks very pretty. Perhaps that’s another way I could bring in some greenery?

Thanks so much!

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Also- my youngest is 8 weeks. I also have a toddler who will be 2 at the end of the month. needless to say, I don’t have a ton of time on my hands, so I try to fit in home decor updates in between naps :)

• User
    6 years ago

I bought pepper berry stem, a twig thing with sparkles (gotta have them sparkles) and one of the rust berry stem. It's for my entrance, I have a coppery watering can and I collect twigs from outside around my house. I think these will work nicely. So thank you!

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@nini, thoughts on the topiaries? I know you had suggested those a while back.

• User
    6 years ago

You must be exhausted. You are doing a fine job. And nap when you can :)

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, definitely exhausted! But I wouldn’t have it any other way :)

• rebeccamomof123
    6 years ago

Congrats on the wee one! I like what you've done. I do think decorating along a mantel with TV is difficult. I have the same problem. And, our TV is on a swivel mount that often gets swiveled to face the dining table, etc. so I can't decorate with anything too tall, because it would get knocked over. I think what you have works well, without competing with the TV. However, I think you could add some green, or cotton stems to the top of the bare top shelves on either side of your mantel below the artwork. Don't bee too match-y match-y with it and try items with various heights, and see what you think. (in all your spare time!). Here is my shelves, with the mantel left bare.

• erinsean
    6 years ago

I am not sure anyone suggested this but, I would lower the TV just a tad and have nothing else on your mantel. Your beautiful candlesticks could be on the shelves/cabinets you have on either side of your fireplace.....and maybe the vases, lanterns,or plants could be put on either side also. Changing things out for the holidays would look very nice and be lots of fun.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks all! Question- the pictures flanking the tv measure 21x21. What do you think would be a good size there?

Also if I placed some plants on the bookshelves would you recommend right in the middle or to the left or right? I’m assuming I shouldn’t cover up the artwork?

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok, trying out a few more looks today. Let me know if you like any of these better than the simple mercury glass candles and clock. :)

Option 1: eucalyptus leaves in white vase, with other small plants on left and right

Option 2: swapped the leaves for the berry stems

Option 3: removed the small plants from the left side

Option 4: replaces the small plant on the right with a different type of plant

Option 5: swapped out plant again for one in a tin vase

Option 6: swapped out small plant did another vase (could find a plant to go in vase or leave as is)

Option 7: swapped out small vase for mercury glass pillar candle on right

With any of these, I could do the eucalyptus leaves instead of the stems. I just really didn’t want to do two pictures for each setup! Haha

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I also found these gray frames as a possible alternative to the frames on the wall currently. I have one up against a current one to give an idea of scale. I thought I might be able to do two on each side in a waterfall effect, staggered diagonally with the one closest to the tv higher than the other. Thought that might draw the eye to the tv instead of having three focal points, especially since the frames are lighter. thoughts? Should I stick to one larger one on each side? Darker frames?

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh and here’s a close up of my current mantle for comparison

• User
    6 years ago

I like #6. Leave the little vase empty.

• Kitch4me
    6 years ago

I would prefer your two candlesticks on the left and just the vase with the eucalyptus on the right.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the input! Anyone have thoughts about replacing the two frames that flank the tv with two gray frames on either side placed diagonally? I’d probably just put family photos in them.

• Kitch4me
    6 years ago

Can you take the black frame down and sit two of gray frames on the bookcase? Since you want the tv to be the focal point, maybe two frames hung right above the bookcase could work?

eta- I'm not really a fan of diagonal

• User
    6 years ago

No to mantle decor. Nothing is going to enhance the look of the TV. It is a functional item. "Stuff" up against it tends to be visual noise and there isn't a lot of mantle anyway as erinsean commented. Yes to dark frames (lends continuity from one side of the TV to the other), but lower them. I like Kitch4me's idea of 2 frames on each side and the frames do not need to be the same. However, I would try different sized "pairs" of framed art over the bookcases. They could be leaned against the wall rather than hung if you like (it's certainly easier!). Some of the items you identified for the mantle could be grouped on each side with the art. Keep in mind you're not trying to fill all the vertical space above each bookcase. Keep the decor connected to the bookcases. You've picked out many nice items. I'm looking forward to seeing which ones win the audition!

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@kitch here’s the two gray frames. I didn’t want to take the other frame down because I remember having a really tough time getting it up there initially. Hopefully this still gives you a better visual?

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Another angle

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok I tried out another option... target has these windowpane frames. Let me know what you think! They’re weathered wood.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Another look I LOVE is having a green wreath over a windowpane. Think this would work next to my tv? Any suggestions where to buy?

• Kitch4me
    6 years ago

If you like the art you have, my first choice would be to reframe them. I like larger and simple, ymmv. Imagine juju hat is a tv ex...

I do think two frames beside each other could work, but like Delilah said in black for continuity. If you need to hide the current nail, maybe hang something smaller like a round mirror/clock/art/sconce above.

Sorry, I don’t care for the target window. Remember this is just what looks good to me :)

ETA: I make paper templates before buying and using nails :)

• prepmom
    6 years ago

I like Option #1 from your second set of pictures - possibly removing the plant next to the white vase. I love the look of a wreath in front of a mirror / window frame.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! It might be the easiest thing to just reframe what I already have... I have had the worst luck trying to find frames in size 30x30 or similar that I actually like. What I have there currently is like a bronzed espresso color which I like. Not quite as harsh as black. I’ll be on the lookout. Anyone have suggestions of where to buy?

• User
    6 years ago

Note three different sizes AND the middle one is very close (connects) to the ledge/mantle. Having the same sized picture hung on the wall and same sized leaning items on each side appeals to your sense of symmetry, but try to think of balance to obtain symmetry rather than identical replication.

ETA: Dark (not necessarily black) frames rather than light :). The bronzed espresso is fine it just reads black on my monitor. The frames do not need to match.

• Kitch4me
    6 years ago

I like Delilah’s examples. It lets your tv be the focal point, while adding interest above your bookcases. Do any of the inspiration pics appeal to you.

6 years ago

Try putting the vase with the red berries to the right of the picture on the right over the bookcase. It looks as though it's going to topple off the mantel. Please, no to the mirror and wreath, that's been so overdone. I like the left side with two frames on the bookcases, just leave them there and don't hang them up. The right side will be balanced out with one picture and the vase with the berries. Remove the clock and put the two candlesticks on the right and the one on the left, and let's see what that looks like.